Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a few rides in on a carbon beargrease XX1 and am really impressed with it. I do sorta wish it had gripshift so I could dump a lotta gears quickly, akin to dropping to the little ring on a 2x drivetrain, but otherwise it is all good. If I get around to bike packing I might be pushing a bike with XX1 up the steeper stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
854 Posts
I am impressed with it on my Beargrease XX1.
My area doesn't have a lot of climbing so I swapped out the stock chain ring for an XX1 32 tooth.

Of note with the very cold temps this winter and a lot of my riding was done in below -15 deg C temps and the shifting and even the XX Brakes worked flawlessly on the bike.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to hear, esp re the XX brakes--I've heard lots of complaints about then--maybe they've improved them?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Long Term Review: SRAM XX1 1×11 Mountain Bike Drivetrain has some interesting comments from users.

my main reason in sticking w/ an 11-42T Shimano XT / OneUP / race face 30T setup was that I didn't want to worry about the cost of replacing the XX1 cogset every year or two. but maybe in fact the narrow/wide chainring up front is the item that takes the brunt and needs regular replacement.

·
Laramie, Wyoming
1,941 Posts
OP- if somebody with any sense had built your bike, they would have recommended a grip shift.
I've had someone recommend it but I don't like it. Actual total shift time for the chain to move from the 42 to the 10 isn't any different between the grip crap and the trigger shifters.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just installed xx1 with grip shift. Has maybe 2 hours on it. Would swap for trigger. I like riding with my hands at the very end of the bars, and with the grip shift the brake lever is too far inboard.

·
*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
854 Posts
OP- if somebody with any sense had built your bike, they would have recommended a grip shift.
Not everyone wants gripshift.
I prefer triggers as well and damn glad Salsa spec'd the Beargrease out that way.

·
*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
854 Posts
That's good to hear, esp re the XX brakes--I've heard lots of complaints about then--maybe they've improved them?
I did change the rotors and pads while building the bike.
I went with Clarks 160mm rotors front and back and Jagwire Extreme Blue brake pads.

The only issue I've had was during the extreme cold temps the stock Jagwire shifter housing's outer black cover shattered and split from the inner casing at the rear derailleur loop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts