Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a benchmark for jumping to 34T instead of 32t?

I have been SS for half a year in Norcal. 15 yrs riding overall. Local rides that I have done:

Waterdog lake, clearing 99% of all uphills
Demo Forest, clearing Sulfer spring almost to the last feel humps with moderate effort, rode up Hilms Mill fireroad with no effort
Skeggs, cleared cross cut, Manzanita except the steep rockgarden, some trouble up El Corte Creek. (Stop and go).
Fremont Older, cleared everything in the usual loop and still have some energy left.

My main complain is that I am running 32x19, and I found myself spinning out way too early just on the flats. I do a little road/dirt path riding. Also, at the local dirt jumps, I really can't carry enough speed and found myself spinning out way early.

Spinning out too soon is not really giving me much of a work out except when there are hills.

Am I ready for 34? What does everyone think?

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
Ready or not I couldn't say, but there are some trade offs.
First, I'd change what ever would be easiest and least expensive, whether that is going to a 17 in back or a 34 in front, that's up to you.
Second, you might miss the acceleration you get out of corners with your currant gear. I switched from a 32x18 (51.5") to a 33x18 (53.2") on my Karate Monkey, and didn't like it. I could still make all the climbs, but I didn't like the way it felt coming out of the corners. YMMV.
Also, with just that slightly larger diameter, I seemed to bash the 33 on a lot more logs than the 32.

·
US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
2,033 Posts
i knew i wuz ready when i picked up my new 29er a few weeks ago (1x8) and it came w/ a 34t:p :rolleyes: sorry,couldn't resist!

like chumbox (i think it wuz) said...you can either go to 34t up front,or drop a couple out back,whichever would be easier/cheaper for ya.and like another said,it will change yer acceleration...that will be most noticable coming out of an uphill corner,when yer about to bonk...don't ask!;)

·
time to climb
239 Posts
You're ready. Just keep a 20t nearby. You might find that swapping 32x19 to a 34x19 is too severe. If it is, just pop the 20 back there and ride it until you get used to it. You'll have more options for races, and for other flatter trails with both 32 and 34 to choose from.

Paulie

·
Dog-food-eating-chicken
27 Posts
You're ready. Be nice to your chain, get a bigger chainring. I run a 34x17, but I keep a few larger cogs around for decoration purposes. I've heard that the larger cogs don't do anything but make riders slower and weaker. :D

·
1,534 Posts
Loll said:
Am I ready for 34? What does everyone think?
honestly...i doubt you'll even notice. 2 teeth in the front isn't really significant. unless you let the '34' get to your head...you should be making all the same climbs and spinning out just as quickly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.