Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might sound silly..but when your sitting on/riding a bike how do you know if the fit feels right?

I tried out a couple bikes today(600 dollar giant and specialized) and rode them and I don't know what a good bike is suppose to feel like after riding cheap bikes my whole life.

Thoughts?

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
You can start with seeing what the manufacturer recommends for your size.
Then just whichever bikes feels most comfortable.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Most bike companies list rider size parameters for their different size frames/bikes. Any bike shop worth it's salt should help you with that. Saddle height and position and stem length are generally spec'd to work for most people in the size range for each bike. You may need to adjust the former, and may want to swap out the latter to get a comfortable riding position on a bike.

But again, any bike shop should assist you with this. If they won't...or if they try to rush you to get a sale, look somewhere else.

When I was riding a lot and had several bikes, I also had several stems and a few saddles lying around that were take offs on bikes that didn't seem to fit right. I was occasionally swapping them out. Because what feels comfortable or "right" fit wise-can change over time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Centurion, Out of three bike shops so far none of them seemed to know anything about sizing when I asked them. I have had bad luck in this area for customer service of any kind(just moved here for work)

I will definitely take note of your advice on adjusting and swapping. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
732 Posts
wheels42;11174657. Centurion, Out of three bike shops so far none of them seemed to know anything about sizing when I asked them.
I would never buy from a shop like that. Even if I had to drive far away to buy.

I have a pretty good idea what I'm looking for when I buy a biike. I know how to do a fit, and I can determine pretty much what frame geometry will work for me and what won't when I am checking out a bike.

But even with that...one of the reasons for buying from a LBS is service. As in...helping you get a bike that will fit you. A good shop will offer a bike fit, at an additional cost, and will be willing to swap out the stem and help you adjust saddle position.

I expect that someone who is about to sell me something as expensive as a bike at a retail price should provide some assistance in that regard.

So again...if the bike shop owner/sales person has no clue, or seems disinterested in helping you with this....find one that will. Because most will.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts