Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most people can loose weight.
Last summer i lost 14 pounds in 14 weeks.
By January i needed to control my situation.
I simply increased my intake of raw food to keep my weight low year round.
What works for you?

·
Registered
126 Posts
A combination of not eating as much at each meal, more veggies, less beer and exercising. If I can't go for a ride, I try to work hard around the house. I also stopped the habit of grabbing snacks after dinner. I lost 17 lbs last year, gained 10 of it back over the winter and now am down about 20 lbs overall, which is about where I should be. I'm a little disappointed that some of the weight is muscle , but I feel better than I have for years and I attribute it to getting my heart rate up on the bike at least once per week.

·
Cycologist
10,354 Posts
Trail running. I'm down on my runs lately and up on my weight. Gotta get out there and hit the trail. My mtb mileage is up and I'm sure that helps a lot, but seems I need to run as well, or maybe it's just the overall increase in exercise (probably). I also eat clean but I've been having a few more business trips and tend to drink more beer when I'm traveling.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I was eating 1500 cals after dinner before bedtime. Wife got an autoimmune disease with her fun parts 13 years ago. No sex so I ate. Gained 20 lbs. Stopped eating after dinner 2 months ago and lost 10lbs so far. I am a plumbing contractor and do stairs all day long and at 59 I can still loose weight quickly if I pay attention. My scale is set at 199 and if I weight over that I can't eat for fun. Just decide your chosen weight and if over no fun eating...that's my plan until I die. No choice..

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did that about 7 years ago, at 54. After a life of being skin and bones i decided to gain about 10 pounds of muscles. Not trying to get strong, naturally i have flexibility and endurance only. I went to the gym for a year just because i did not want to be in trouble in my later years since muscle mass tend to melt. I gained about 9 pounds so at 95 i might still be biking 6-7 days a week year round. Obviously i was eating more than my appetite and i stopped because i am an outdoor guy. I was happy with the result. Now i am still a light weight but less extreme.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Reduced intake of calories (eating less), keeping a somewhat particular eye on processed goods. I still enjoy those things but in moderation.

I think this contributes more to weight loss than exercising.

·
Registered
897 Posts
For me, it's been discipline with my diet. I am 6'2 and have been around 220-225 for the last 10 years or so. Up until this year I was never concerned about what I ate, but after a particularly bad holiday season sent my cholesterol and glucose numbers way up, my Dr. suggested I lose some weight.

So, I cut out beer between Monday and Thursday (about 4-8 per week) and replaced my daily turkey/cheese sandwich with a grilled chicken salad. I also cut down on my carb snacking. Instead of chips, I snack on nuts, cheese, vegetables and dried fruit. On weekends, I let go a bit and will have a few beers each day and pretty much anything goes for meals.

Although I'm not obsessed with my diet, I have become extremely aware of what I'm eating every day and I think differently. From January to March, I dropped 15 lbs with very little riding or other exercise, and I am now hovering between 202-206. Now that the weather is finally better and I am biking more, I hope to drop another 5 lbs. I'd love my weight range to be between 195 and 200.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Weight Watchers. 17 years ago I joined the program and lost 50 lbs. I have kept 40 lbs off following the old points system and tracking what I eat.

That and plenty of exercise. I stopped going to meetings years ago but I still get on the scale every morning and can catch any gains. My annual physical gives me another incentive. I don't want the doctor to tell me to lose weight again.

I suppose vanity plays a role too.

·
9 lives
17,913 Posts
I've been vegetarian my entire adult life. Turning 50, going through cancer and long treatment took it's toll on my body. I needed to make some life changes. So 5 years ago I gave up all dairy and now I fuel my body with strict plant based food. Plus incorporating regular weight lifting and HIIT (high intensity interval training) for 1 hour a day several times per week has helped me build muscle and melt fat. The less weight I carry means I have a stronger cardio for mtb and running. I have lost weight (gradually) and my body has changed but I stuck with the lifestyle changes I made 5 years ago.

I know plant-based seems drastic to many but I know some people find just eating vegan/plant based 1 or more days per week is a great start. There are so many options now (not like the dark days of vegetarianism many years ago) eg Beyond Meat etc. Changes in how I work out, and trying new activities. I can't believe sometimes that I can do pull-ups, run 21km, deadlift twice my body weight etc. etc. But I started with not being able to do any of those things 5 years. It didn't happen overnight and it wasn't easy but the efforts and results paid off :)

Having a supportive spouse, positive people and celebrating little and big successes along the way also keeps me motivated.

·
Premium Member
10,762 Posts
When I went back to school at age 35, I had a class project to pick an individual health issue and make changes to your life to resolve/improve that health issue. At the time I weighed 230#. My wife and I started on weight watchers, keep in mind this was my first diet ever and I was quit fit (runner, biker, paddler).

What I quickly learned from doing weight watchers is I was eating more than I needed (duh) and when I started totalling my points for the day, I was eating all my points with breakfast and lunch; no points left for dinner.

So, step one: Stop eating breakfast. This required overcoming the age old wisdom we were all taught that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day". Of course we now know that fasting is not bad for you, so of course breakfast is not "essential".

I continued to eat lunch and dinner, using coffee and fruit to sustain me until lunch. Using this change I was able to drop 25# over a six month period, then I plateaued. So I got to thinking, what else could I do to lose weight?; my goal was 195#.

So step two: I stopped eating lunch. Yup, two meals down, continued to use coffee, tea, and fruit to sustain me during the day, no other changes in my regimen as I was already fit and exercising a lot. I dropped another 10# and that is the end of the story.

I'm 6'/195#, I rarely eat breakfast or lunch, pretty much eat whatever I want for dinner. I'm not a snacker, I eat a couple pieces of fruit through the day (apples mostly), I don't eat chips, cookies, ice cream etc... (never really did).

... and this diet ^ has worked for me for the past twenty years.

So, my answer is: Modified fasting and developing a sustainable dietary intake for life.

Oh, and one more thing: I've been a vegetarian for over thirty years, which does not guarantee skinniness, but it is good for the environment and it makes me feel good about myself :)

·
Registered
17,555 Posts
I try to eat well ( lot's of fresh veggies) but I eat as much as I want, breakfast, lunch, dinner and lots of snacks. 56 and light as a feather, probably mostly due to genetics but 10 hours of riding per week with lots of high intensity thrown in sure doesn't hurt.

·
Raleigh
362 Posts
I believe it's good to eat healthy foods throughout the day so this, combined with 100mi of weekly mtb riding, works for me.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.