Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your weapon? Do you know that it takes a lot of calories to inflate a 29er 2.4 tire? And if you ride a 2.5 tire at 40 psi, you will build a lot of muscle.

What is your weapon?
Hand pump? :eekster:
Floor pump? What kind is good?
Compressor? What and what kind of valve are you using?

And if you use Stans, you gotta have some horsepower right?

The reason I ask is because I think I have seen the light;).

fc

·
veldrijder
1,083 Posts
Old school floor pump is preferred (Silca, etc. - I use an SKS Rennkompressor). Cast base, easily serviced seals, high pressure rating are all a must. I don't think you can kill them :)

For setting the bead on a tubeless setup the compressor is nice for sure. If I had a better valve/gauge setup I'd be inclined to use it more, but the floor pump is nice and portable for throwing in the car for races, etc.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
In my workshop I use a floor pump. I also have a small compressor if I need it...but the floor pump normally does the job.

I also use the floor pump for Stans tubeless setups...it's good for the arms.. :D

The floor pump is an old Wrench Science cheapie that just keeps on going..

R

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was wishing I had a compressor last night when I was trying to mount ordinary cross tires with Stan's on my 29er. The Bontrager TLR rim/tire combo I've been riding seals just fine with a floor pump though.

I would never think of taking a 29er tire above 25 psi, so excessive pumping isn't a problem.

I also don't have a garage. :(

·
Mtbr Founder
35,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kpd said:
I was wishing I had a compressor last night when I was trying to mount ordinary cross tires with Stan's on my 29er. The Bontrager TLR rim/tire combo I've been riding seals just fine with a floor pump though.

I would never think of taking a 29er tire above 25 psi, so excessive pumping isn't a problem.

I also don't have a garage. :(
It would be nice to have a super-high volume floor pump. One that goes only to 30 psi but pushes a whole lotta air.

fc

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Schmucker said:
I remove the tire core, pressurize the room to the desired PSI, install the core, and return to 1bar.

Or I just use a floor pump if I'm not in a rush.
I haven't been able to get my room to seal properly so lately I've been taking my tires to Venus if I want a lower pressure like 20ish earth psi or Jupiter if I want higher psi. Jupiter is also good for road bike tires if you go get closer to the surface. But, yeah I still have to deal with the whole removing and reinstalling the valve core. That's kind of a pain.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
First of all, any tubeless set up that you can't air up with a floor pump is useless. I do all mine with an older Blackburn floor pump. If they don't air up with that, they don't pass the test.

Want a good air pump? There are lots of them. Want a great floor pump?

Lezyne...........hands down.

They make great mini pumps too. I have found they pump more air per stroke due to their more precise internal mechanisms. Very efficient!

Best floor pump? Lezyne hasn't been around long enough. Right now, it's still Silca. Bomb proof design that a monkey could service. Parts available for 30 year old pumps. Great stuff.

francois: Everybody knows cyclists have weak upper bodies, so quit yer snivelin' and get those tires aired up already. With a floor pump, like a good cyclist should! ;) :D

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
francois said:
It would be nice to have a super-high volume floor pump. One that goes only to 30 psi but pushes a whole lotta air.

fc
Very good idea.

I use floor pumps. I've got a Silca. It's OK. It's old school. It's serviceable. It can do the job. The gauge is small, hard to see and breaks easy. When someone is glowing about Silca, I can say "Yea, I got one." It's smaller. It's the one I put in the car.

I prefer my Topeak Joe Blow Pro. It's got a big base and large handle and is relatively tall. All this makes it easier to pump. It has a large air chamber so it does a decent job of filling the tire. It's got the gauge near the top so it's easier to read. It has a nice long hose. When it breaks I'll buy one of your new 29er specific big volume pumps.

Seating a new tubeless tires can be a bit of work. A compressor would be nice, but so would a motor on my bike. I just get after it and it does the job. It doesn't come up much. Most of the time I'm just adding about 5 lbs. of pressure to a mostly inflated tire.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Want a good air pump? There are lots of them. Want a great floor pump?

Lezyne...........hands down.

They make great mini pumps too. I have found they pump more air per stroke due to their more precise internal mechanisms. Very efficient!

Best floor pump? Lezyne hasn't been around long enough. Right now, it's still Silca. Bomb proof design that a monkey could service. Parts available for 30 year old pumps. Great stuff.
I'm on the lookout for the floor pump Lezyne debuted at Interbike, supposed to be new for '09. That thing was sweet.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.