Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
some kind of hero...
543 Posts
sonyisdope said:
I just bought the GNC whey protein mix, strawberry flavored for my recovery drink after riding. Man, it is gross. What do you do to improve the taste of it?
I add fruit or berries and blend it into a smoothie. Frozen berries turn it into a cool slushie...

Cheers
:cool:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yeah, best tasting flavor is vinilla. it gets pretty gross twords the end of the big ol jug. Best way i have found to do it, is slam it. Just put it down. But i think im going to try to do the mix with real fruit that sounds good.

·
Tinker Tailor
50 Posts
add some stuff

Try a pack of Splenda or some other faux sugar.

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drewdane said:
Add vodka.
Tried that today, and I'd have to say it is not refreshing. Also, when I got pulled over on the way home from my ride, the cop didn't like the fact that I was drinking vodka and driving for some reason.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
sonyisdope said:
I just bought the GNC whey protein mix, strawberry flavored for my recovery drink after riding. Man, it is gross. What do you do to improve the taste of it?
Your recovery drink needs more carbs than protein. About a 4:1 mix. So just add sugar. Fruit helps too and will be less harsh on the body. If you just add sugar to get the right mix, it will probably be too sweet and turn your stomach. I usually mix in maltodextrin (made from corn starch) which is fairly bland carbohydrate but is quickly absorbed. I also use dextrose instead of table sugar. With just plain whey, you should be able to make a fairly tasty drink. Other ingredients like glutamine peptides, BCAA or hydrolyzed whey will make it bitter.

I get ingredients from the Protein Factory...

http://www.proteinfactory.com/

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Either keep trying different brands till you find a nicer one or add more water to dilute it.

With protein shakes/ recovery drinks etc try and have 500ml- 600ml of water with each serving.

After a few weeks you normally get used to the taste of these drinks anyway.:)

·
Registered
456 Posts
all I do..

Gatorade halfed w/ water!!!!!!!! and a red bull, its great, straight gatorade WILL dehydrate you if you dont super saturate your body with water, green gatorade is the best tho!!

oh ya a red bull to pregame

has anyone had the jones cola energy drink??? it says "drink responsably, consume no more than 2 a day" thats kick ass!!! I bet you would be buzzz'n

·
Registered
230 Posts
Pee in it!

OK, now for the real info.

I've been reading a book I highly recommend called Bicycling Medicine by Arnie Baker, M.D. (Published by Fireside which is part of Simon & Schuster: New York, NY) and he says protein drinks only provide a modest benefit after training and that you would really be better off getting all your nutrients and protein from actual food. Pasta has some protein in it, but you can always add some bacon to it--and the fat in the bacon will actually improve your performance on next day's ride--or get your protein from some other common food source.

Even Lance Armstrong is known to get his protein from food, not a bucket full of sand like the stuff they sell at GNC.

Dr. Baker also says that if you're really worried about getting your vitamins, take one Centrum a day--and, in fact, dedicates many pages to the possible side effects and even toxicity of vitamin overdosing as well as the ins and outs of many diet supplement myths one by one.

Great book. You should get it if you're already spending money on something that doesn't seem to really benefit you at all.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Same book, another suggestion

Dr. Arnie Baker in his book Bicycling Medicine (Fireside books) also says that he halves fruit juice--any kind he likes--with water. I haven't tried it yet, but I will.

He's a category 1 USCF racer, five time national champion and five time US record holder by the way.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I dont know what it is, but Gatorade doesnt do it for me. I drink it with water....still, nothing. Ill feel a bit less bogged down.....but not very much for a whole gatorade. Ive been getting those Sobe(Nofear) drinks....get them for snowboarding too. Drink one every 3 hours when I got DHing. Tastes better than redbull, gives you more a rush than redbull does, lasts longer than redbull, is 16ounces, and when I have 3 I start to shake :D good ole' Creatine....Id say try adding fruit though and making a smoothie, that sounds scrumpcious.

·
Registered
456 Posts
ya the only cure

Ya buddy!! the only cure for the pre DH jidders is a nice buzz!! lol thats what I do when just tool'n around (I know its ultra bad) but I down a cupple of mountain dues and go ride some drops.

·
Registered
283 Posts
best PWO (post workout) thing would be 1 scoop gatorade (or 2) with a scoop whey. I normally go with the gatorade in water and the whey in milk. Two seperate drinks. Optimum Nutrition Chocolate whey is the best tasting and mixing stuff there it. Well chocolate is a personal preferance. But that should just about cover all your post ride needs.

and even yes lance is right... whey protien shouldn't be your primary source of protien. But it is the BEST and fastest absorbing protien post workout. There is no debate there. The protien in fish is in second... so chomp down the tuna if need be. But you need high GI carbs to spike insulin pwo more importantly. Hence the gatorade.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.