Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
tuck-n-roll master
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've found myself in a kind of riding slump. Sometimes I just don't feel like riding, but lately I've been looking for excuses not to ride. It's not that I've lost complete interest either. I still love to ride, but I'm in a kind of funk. How do ya'll (<- southern tendency) keep it up? Some of you may completely love the sport beyond anything else and I understand that, but what keeps you going?

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
I've been kinda feeling like this lately too, but having a jacked-up lower back is probably the main reason. Riding the hardtail today with the all-carbon Token saddle definitely wasn't helping either!

If possible, try riding a mix of different trails, or even try out a new trail. One other thing to try is to ride trails in the opposite direction, or even at night! That helps mix it up a bit.

Hope this helps some!

Also, check out the thread I had started here, named "missing passion today".

:cool:

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
I sometimes have trouble getting up the motivation to ride, but I remeber what a good time I had last time and drag myself out to the trail. Usually within a mile from the trailhead, I'm having a blast and forgot all the duldrums I was having before. I also find if I ride the same trail too many times in a row, I get bored and start to think of the climbs as a chore since I already know whats on the othere side. When I hit a new trail, it ups the anticipation to find out whats coming next.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts

* Ride somewhere with scenic non-technical trail and ride it slow.

* Take a ride with a newbie adult at their pace.

* Ride through your local park where children ride. Watch and remember.

* Enter a race that's two months away.

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
pavement_hurts said:
Lately I've found myself in a kind of riding slump. Sometimes I just don't feel like riding, but lately I've been looking for excuses not to ride. It's not that I've lost complete interest either. I still love to ride, but I'm in a kind of funk. How do ya'll (<- southern tendency) keep it up? Some of you may completely love the sport beyond anything else and I understand that, but what keeps you going?
Try thinking of a past ride you had or a great day of riding in the past or even the flow and rythm your favorite trail.

I've hit slumps in alot of the things I do. I don't burn out but I find it easy to say oh well I gotta wash my car or I gotta clean up my place. All of these are just BS reasons for not patching a flat I got on my bike, or riding the day after a previous ride and my legs are hurting, having to wear smelly gear or any other miniscule reason. When I think about a set of switch backs, drop offs, downhills, little jumps, uphills that I never dreamed of reaching the top on a SS, breathing so hard I'm afraid I'm gonna pass out, the silence, almost biting it after a jump, flying inbetween two trees that are 30 inches wide with 29 inch handlebars, finding little trails I didn't know existed, meeting cool chill people on the trail, seeing deer/squirrels/chipmunks/geese/snakes, and not seeing cars/cellphones.......yea well I quickly find time to ride again.

There is a reason you chose to get into the sport revisit the reason and you'll question why you ever questioned riding again.

·
Slave to the grind
519 Posts
they interviewed a pro rider once

they asked him what he did for motivation.

when he felt like he was getting burned out, he would get in his car and drive around in rush hour traffic.

·
Ride lots...
896 Posts
I have never had this happen with riding. I love it so much I could do it everyday. I usually ride 3-4 times a week and it is never enough.

I feel what you're going through though. I think we have all been through something similar at one time or another. Some very good sugestions have already been made.

--Try a bike build project (if you have the $$ that is).

--Buy a GPS or bike computer and map out/calculate the mileage on all your usual rides.

--Upgrade some of the older components on your current ride.

I know the things I mentioned all have spending money involved. If you don't have the money to spend, try downloading Google Earth and searching your city for new trails. Or, maybe do some type of riding you don't usually do.

If all else fails, just watch "The Collective". That does it everytime for me:thumbsup:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well see I have this collection of sweet vids I've downloaded from different MTBR members and I just load one or two up if I feel that way, works everytime - although I don't think I really feel that way too often I must say.

Check out MTBBill, Weirwolf, BikinViking and Pete Fagerlin(I know he was banned, but he made some sweeet vids) for some excellent passion videos. My fav for "pumpin' me up" is MTBBills "Idyllwild '06", the music and editing just gets you ready to hit some trail and try things you might hessitate on - this can also be a bad thing, especially when on the trail and the damn music starts to play in your head and you forget where you are and start hammering.

·
just have fun!
154 Posts
This past weekend I went mountain biking for the first time in a month. I was burned out from riding the same trails over and over, and needed a break. In the meantime I put serious asphalt miles on my cyclocross bike, and temporarily converted the mountain bike to a dirt jumper (flat pedals, low seat) and played around on jumps and urban stuff. The hiatus was nice and I still rode a ton, just switched focus. Saturday's ride was amazing! It was like everything was fresh again.

·
Registered
18,595 Posts
I figure the way to keep things fresh is to either:
A) Change your terrain, or
B) Change your equipment

Right now I'm in a big road bike mood. Go Floyd!

If I don't feel like riding at all I do something else, such as see a matinee.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Don't try this at home...

OK, this only really works at the Slatyfork Shuffle for me, but I have found two great motivators when used together:

1) Heavy drinking
2) Peer pressure

I'm not advocating the practice of riding while intoxiacted. What I mean is that in the evenings, after a dozen or so beers, I start pontificating about "you know what we should ride tomorrow?". Its usually something I regret saying the next morning. Luckily, there's always a buddy around who remembers. Then comes the peer pressure. Then hours later, when the suffering is in full effect they say, "What were you thinking?" And of course my out is always that you shouldn't really listen to someone after a dozen or so beers.

"Loose cannons of the world, unite!"

·
1,316 Posts
The key thing is to mix it up. So many good suggestions have been said already so I will ask you a couple questions instead. When did this funk start? Any particular reason that brought it on? Someone mentioned buy a SS and you said you thought about it, so is it that you are looking for something new or are you dissatisfied with your current ride? What Im trying to get at is, look for the source than pick one of the good selections above.

Examples:
Current ride issues: technical problems got you down or just tired of riding old trusty steed - than buy something new. No money: build up an el cheapo SS special the building should be half the fun and by the time its done you should be ready to ride.

Same ole, same ole: Ride the same trail again and again? Plan a trip somewhere you have always wanted to go OR go back and ride the same ole trails on a new bike, again something like a SS.

And like someone else said do something else, when you are ready to get back on the bike - you will.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.