Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting up those hills with the big front ends. ya know, the wheelie thing that happens all the time. im having a hell of a time getting of some pretty steep hill around my area. any suggestions on keeping the front end down on the ground?

·
I need more time
157 Posts
Simple

Stand up over your handlebar so your standing on the pedals and leaning forward, your front whell will never lift now.

Olny thing to watch out for it the back whell will have no grip and may if its really steep or slippy will spin on you so just lean back a bit.

But thats basically how ya do it.

Well works for me anyway :D

·
eci
2,712 Posts
SamL3227 said:
getting up those hills with the big front ends. ya know, the wheelie thing that happens all the time. im having a hell of a time getting of some pretty steep hill around my area. any suggestions on keeping the front end down on the ground?
Well what you gotta do is put your knees on the handlebar and pedal with your hands. i heard it works quite well. Going up is fine bc you dont need to see to much but going down would be scary. Good luck

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
You must adapt.

Stand and lean or sit and flatten out.

Praying and making grunting sounds are also helpful.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Or get a really long saddle and...

SamL3227 said:
sit on the nose. This is one of the side benefits of some of the FR saddles like the Azonic Love Seat. If you've ridden dirt motorcycles any time, you get used to scrunching up to the gas tank in situations like that. These longish, bigger saddles are loved by some and hated by some. They do have bigger, softer noses than most any other saddles that lets you really sit on it and pedal. I'll relate a quick story that points this out a little. Two of us from our bike shop went to Moab this past May. I've been many times, but it was by buddy's first time. He has always used an Azonic Hot Seat on his '03 Heckler. He is an awesome rider but had never ridden in this much technical or steep terrain. His normal practice of sitting on his saddle nose for shorter climbs got to be painful on some of the trails with extended and/or very steep pitchups. The backup bike that I brought had another Azonic Love Seat on it, and I loaned it to him. He was amazed how well it worked in the conditions in Moab and loved it. It gave him better bike control in technical terrain, and he could stay seated more of the time and still get the job done. As I said, I think they mimic some of the benefits you get from a dirt motorcycle saddle. True, they are not for extended, seated pedaling like on an XC course, but when the trail is technical and you have to move around a lot for good bike control, they work well for lots of riders.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I sit forward on my seat, put my head down and thrash away in low gear. That way you keep traction in the rear by sitting down and keep the front down by leaning right forward and down... works for me.....

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx

yeah i just bought a new seat for my bike. a Power V. it works so much better. its bigger and longer and softer and better. i didnt think it would of made that much of a diff climbing but it did. cool

1 - 8 of 8 Posts