Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been a mtn biker for 15+ years now always riding on hardtails. I'm looking into maybe getting a used 8"+ travel freeride/downhill bike to play with but am wondering how most of you get up the mountain in the first place in order to ride down it? Seems like a dumb question but pedaling a 40 pound super plush bike up hill sounds pretty hard. I imagine a lot of you are racers, I'm not one but still want to try a downhill rig out. Do most of you ride downhill only at ski areas where you can ride a chair lift up? Ride in areas where someone can shuttle you up with a truck? Or do some of you simply walk your downhill rigs up the mountain? Just curious.

·
I bike long tyme.
1,107 Posts
We shuttle whenever possible not so much due to the fact that riding up is hard, but you get more bang for your time considering the ride down usually only takes a fraction of the time it would take to pedal back up. You can make maaaaany more runs on most trail systems during a day or a session if you've got a cheater back to the top.

·
dontcha?
1,433 Posts
Depending on what you get it might not be all that hard to ride back up the mtn.. no it's not as easy as a 20lb hardtail, but I didn't think it was all that hard to pedal my 44lb freeride bike back up the hill over this weekend..

·
Cheesiest
1,615 Posts
I rode a lot of trails in Missoula on a Bullit. It's built up in the mid- to high-30lb range, but still good enough for Silver Mountain. I've got a 66 Light on the way to get a little more beef. I don't imagine I'll need much more.:thumbsup:

G

·
Cru Jones said:
Beans, beans the musical fruit. The more you eat, the more you...
beans beans they're good for your heart, the more you eat the more you fart the more you fart the better you feel which means more beans for every meal

uhh yeah I chair lift, or shuttle, sometimes walk...
rarely pedal

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
shuttle, or push the bike.....pedaling is for XC'ers....man if you pedaled to the top of our trails you would be blackballed.....guys wouldn't want to be around you...they would start handing you wine coolers instead of bears.....and it gets worse then that

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Chairlift (whistler BP)
Pedal - Fromme, Galby, Cypress, local FR stuff, other BC epic stuff
Shuttle - Seymour, Cypress

I don't find doing a climb on my dh bike all that hard. I raise the saddle, drop it in 22-34, crank up the propedal and spin away. I sorta take on a zen state when doing it. A local ride goes up 1500-2000 feet and takes an hour to get to if I keep spinning without any breaks. I push if things get too steep, I'm hungover, etc., but the grade isn't all that bad. Same goes for fromme which is a really easy grade up.

Bob, in our group, you'd be given a wine cooler if we saw you pushing up stuff!! ;)

Cheers,
EBX

·
Canadian Invasion
296 Posts
Yeah I'm all about earning the decent by sweating a bit first. Keeps me in shape. I honestly think my legs have almost doubled in strength since I started riding seriously. They ladies in my harem think so anyway.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.