Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the first 30 mins of "24" on the trainer. Not sure how some of you get through a ride on a trainer, but damn that was tough. Heck Spinning classes look doable now. I'm trying to look at the "big picture" here. I want to be in somewhat decent shape come spring so if I have to ride a trainer every now and then so be it. But dang I need a different mindset when I hop on the trainer.

·
Registered
451 Posts
BelaySlave said:
Spent the first 30 mins of "24" on the trainer. Not sure how some of you get through a ride on a trainer, but damn that was tough. Heck Spinning classes look doable now. I'm trying to look at the "big picture" here. I want to be in somewhat decent shape come spring so if I have to ride a trainer every now and then so be it. But dang I need a different mindset when I hop on the trainer.
Anything over an hour kills brain cells,, the train right vids are pretty good to simulate a spin class, and having someone tell you what to do like a dominatrix can help the brain from wandering... other wise load up a training load on the mp3 and blast it,,, with intervals of grinding and sprinting and recovery based on the tunes...

Interval sprint during comercials helps too watching regular tv....

·
King of the Barneys
1,121 Posts
My best answer is I keep riding--outdoors. Last couple week I rode 2 or 3x a week, since the temps were low, and this week looks good to. When I absolutely have to get on the trainer, I'll put on a mtb dvd and push myself like a crazy man.

CDB

I've got 2 trainers in case you want to bring your bike to my house to watch 24 tomorrow night...

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Zoning out to the TV or a DVD are the only way that I can make it. However, some days there's nothing I can do to make it "enjoyable." Some nights I can make it two hours and be content. Other nights I make to to the 20 minute mark and I ask myself, "why am I doing this?" Often that question leads to me getting off the bike, and grabbing a can of Modelo out of the refrigerator.

·
Registered
320 Posts
two things help me

1. Riding with a friend.
2. spinervals

·
Registered
353 Posts
I need gadgetery. I've got an old Cateye trainer that has a display of speed, output in watts, and calories burned. Between that and a heart rate monitor I can usually keep myself occupied somehow. 10 minutes at a certain heart rate or wattage, etc. It's also (somewhat) interesting to compare heart rate to wattage to see how I'm doing. Watching the calories burned helps justify the beer, too! Definitely need the iPod, as well.

I also had a competition with a friend one winter. We had a virtual race from our town to another town about 100 miles away and back. Kept track of the miles on a map. We didn't take it too seriously, but it was more fun than just keeping track of miles.

Of course, none of it is a good or as fun as really riding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
back before the bikes at the gym had tv's, my secret was to hook up the roadie to the trainer, put on a good basketball game. then follow this rule: spin normally during the game. during timeouts and tv commercials, sprint. this made for a pretty good interval training. i remember waaaay back in the day thinking if dennis rodman can spin during an entire game when he isn't on the floor, so can i. i'd stretch during halftime, but otherwise, make it the whole 4 quarters. and i got to see a lot of hoops.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
pstar said:
back before the bikes at the gym had tv's, my secret was to hook up the roadie to the trainer, put on a good basketball game. then follow this rule: spin normally during the game. during timeouts and tv commercials, sprint.
Yeah I do similar things. During commercials I'll put it in my highest gear and stand up to pedal. It's amazing how long some of those breaks seem - by the time a show is back on it feels like I'm about to die.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Mountain bike DH/FR DVDs. I buy almost every new DVD as soon as they come out. I ride for 50 minutes almost every morning. I couldnt do it with out the DVD cranked. The music gets me going to.

·
just a man
1,865 Posts
Nick I don't own a trainer and not sure I ever will. I am with CBro - dirt in the freezing cold is more fun and more challenging, especially going over little rocks that send you sideways. But if spinning is your deal, go all out man.

Did you ride last night?

7 Posts
AC/DC. Judge Judy and a heart rate montitor.
I do my workouts by songs, 5-6 minutes long.
If you pick 7-8 songs you like, that's an hour. Sprint for one, climb the next. etc.
Also, having a heart rate monitor is motivation. Also, it helps if you can keep your bike set up on the trainer. Setting it up is the hardest part for me.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
No black tar. I am so let down by you. It is all about the resin and oils.

We were talking about bitumen...weren't we?

Riding in this cold reminds me of something I forgot. Know what I mean? So not motivated to get that 6 hr ride in on the weekends.

·
Registered
320 Posts
15 minutes???

thats barely enough time to just get warmed up.

and by the way if she does become president I'm headed out of country (not trying to hijack thread)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.