Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How do you get the stank out of your clothes,PFDs,etc.?

1K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Manicmtbr 
#1 ·
Cant seem to get the stank out of my clothes. Anyone have luck with their spandex, PFDs, socks, shirts, cameback. In order to bring my clothes with me on family vacations, my wife has forced me into buying a Thule Car top carrier.

#2 ·
DCepp said:
Cant seem to get the stank out of my clothes. Anyone have luck with their spandex, PFDs, socks, shirts, cameback. In order to bring my clothes with me on family vacations, my wife has forced me into buying a Thule Car top carrier.
For getting the stank out of gloves someone suggested the following
-do not put them in your helmet after a ride
-soak them in a little white vinegar, then wash with shampoo and dry.

It has helped a lot with my full finger gloves.

#3 ·
DCepp said:
Have you tried washing the stuff (except shoes and Camelback)? I toss my shorts, jerseys, socks, and full finger gloves in the washing machine w/light detergent. Just don't heat-dry your gloves.

Works wonders. :)

#4 ·
Terry Floyd said:
Have you tried washing the stuff (except shoes and Camelback)? I toss my shorts, jerseys, socks, and full finger gloves in the washing machine w/light detergent. Just don't heat-dry your gloves.

Works wonders. :)
For jerseys, if they're synthetic fabric, I've found that they're extremely colorfast, that is, they resist fading even when I toss them in the washer with my whites where I use bleach. About a half cup of liquid bleach gets everything nice and sparkly and does a real good job of disinfecting everything.

I've tried to make it a habit of washing gloves after every ride too. I was getting sick a lot this last spring and realized that I'm constantly using the terry cloth in my gloves to wipe my nose, blow snot, wipe away sweat, etc. Filthy bacteria-laden gloves and exposed nasal passages is a really good vector for bacterial infection. Hand wash those things in a sink and you'll realize just how dirty they get. I usually do that with some detergent in warm water and rinse before I toss them in with the rest of the dark colored stuff in the machine for a second washing.

Your helmet stinks after a while too. I get replacement pads and velcro coin from bell and periodically rip the pads out and throw those in the wash as well. Wash and rinse the salt-crusted straps in warm soapy water.

#8 ·
muddog999 said:
"PFD's"

he he.. I bet you look funny going down the trail wearing a Personal Flotation Device

Seriously.. I toss my stuff in the washing machine.. low heat or no heat and everything comes out Tide fresh :)
Try adventure racing. After you paddle for 7 hours, then you need to ride with your PFD for 34 miles atop your 15lb camelback, then don your PFD to portage across a river to your support crew, yeah we do look a little funny riding with our PFDs. No wonder why mine stinks! I do all the washing machine stuff, but to no avail. I guess my training/races (6-22 hrs in length) really put a hurtin on my gear. Maybe Fabreez??

#10 ·
DCepp said:
The problem is that the phosphates in most soaps keep the stink in synthetic fabrics. Use a soap that does not have phosphates. I've been using Dr. Bronners and I no longer have any smell in my synthetic clothes.

http://www.drbronner.com

#12 ·
DCepp said:
Lots of stuff works well. Lysol, ammonia (don't mix with chlorine bleach), vinegar, Clorox II (or any bleach alternative), Oxyclean, etc. Anything that kills germs will kill the stink.

#13 ·
how do you wash the helmet

...without replacement pads etc...
i mean, i have since 1999 and i rub it with a cloth with plain water. But i don;t know how i can clean it and don;'t do any damage

Patchito said:
For jerseys, if they're synthetic fabric, I've found that they're extremely colorfast, that is, they resist fading even when I toss them in the washer with my whites where I use bleach. About a half cup of liquid bleach gets everything nice and sparkly and does a real good job of disinfecting everything.

I've tried to make it a habit of washing gloves after every ride too. I was getting sick a lot this last spring and realized that I'm constantly using the terry cloth in my gloves to wipe my nose, blow snot, wipe away sweat, etc. Filthy bacteria-laden gloves and exposed nasal passages is a really good vector for bacterial infection. Hand wash those things in a sink and you'll realize just how dirty they get. I usually do that with some detergent in warm water and rinse before I toss them in with the rest of the dark colored stuff in the machine for a second washing.

Your helmet stinks after a while too. I get replacement pads and velcro coin from bell and periodically rip the pads out and throw those in the wash as well. Wash and rinse the salt-crusted straps in warm soapy water.

#15 ·
Stank?

Ya, I know what you are saying. I have had pretty good luck with the UV rays of the sun. It kills the bacteria. If you still have problems, my son plays Ice Hockey and that stuff gets really bad, and the local Play It Again Sports has a "chamber" that they put stuff in and gets rid of the stench. I don't know what, or how, but it works. They charge $10.00 for a load.

#16 ·
Patchito said:

The leather on gloves doesn't fall apart being washed?

#18 ·
DCepp said:
Cant seem to get the stank out of my clothes.
I used to have to throw away clothing, before it wore out, due to a pervasive odor they would get after using them for any type of exercise activity (and this was with the clothes being machine washed after each use). Two things that have seemed to help; 1) get the clothes dry as soon as possible after use (I hang my clothes on the bike rack on the way home sometimes). 2) I use a product called "Odo-Ban" that I buy at Sam's warehouse club. The odo-ban is scented, but it does seem to control the bacterial growth that causes the odors.

Beck

#19 ·
About the helmet

If you are on a long ride and you can dunk it in a clean creek or spray it with a garden hose IMEDIATELY after the ride, that is best. I sometimes just take my helmet in the shower and scrub the hell out of it.

For my cloths, they go in the wash immediately after I get home, pre-wash soak if they are extra stanky. And I hang dry my stuff, it is synthetic and dries fast. No problem washing the gloves, but be sure to secure the velcro or else it will grab onto some other stuff (lycra and/or socks) and pick the hell out of it, or worse.

Nothin' worse than riding with a stanky helmet, although I find I ride faster, as I'm trying to outrun the stench....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.