Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I need a new body for my Shimano MT400 freehub, the splins a little torn. I can't find the correct replacement body, but also would like to upgrade to SRAM GX cassette, which makes matters more confusing. How do you guys learn this stuff?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I feel like I need a new body for my Shimano MT400 freehub, the splins a little torn. I can't find the correct replacement body, but also would like to upgrade to SRAM GX cassette, which makes matters more confusing. How do you guys learn this stuff?
There's very little, if any, compatibility of different free hubs from brand to brand or even model to model within the same brand. There are a few exceptions, but generally speaking you'll need a free hub specific to your hub.

As for cassette compatibility, that's pretty simple:

XD: SRAM GX, XO, XX, and e13 cassettes, 11sp or 12sp
MicroSpline: Shimano 12sp
HG: almost everything else including Shimano 9, 10, 11sp, and SRAM NX 12sp

A cursory search for what you need doesn't yield much. I would go to the best high end shop close to you to see if it's even possible to swap free hubs on that wheel.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I learned this stuff because I was building up bikes from bare frames, then slowly upgrading them as time and money allowed, then I spent 10 years working in bike shops, learning newer and newer technologies as they came available. You really need to get into the specs to make sure that your components are compatible. It takes time to learn everything. I've been out of cycling for almost 2 years now, so I'm sure things have changed, but the core information seems to remain the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.