Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed regulars like nino and co always have the lightest parts like tires, tubes and carbon parts. Do they go to bike shops with their scales and weigh 30 tires to find the lightest? I'm being serious because I've been ordering light parts such as tires etc and been disappointed by their weights and wondered how you guys managed to find the lightest stuff.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The challenge is finding a LBS with more than 1 or 2 of the items of interest in stock. That's pretty rare these days in Canada, except for high turnover items like chains, brake pads, popular tires, etc. the LBS's in this part of teh world only have one or two of any one item in stock. They order everything when you order it, which is why buying online is usually just as fast.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
scale on hand...

saga said:
I've noticed regulars like nino and co always have the lightest parts like tires, tubes and carbon parts. Do they go to bike shops with their scales and weigh 30 tires to find the lightest? I'm being serious because I've been ordering light parts such as tires etc and been disappointed by their weights and wondered how you guys managed to find the lightest stuff.
I have the opportunity to weigh parts at distributors warehouses.
With tires i usually stop around 20-50 pcs. from a certain point on it becomes ridiculous and the pople working there start shaking their heads and laugh;) By now they know when i am coming that i have my scale and will sit somewhere in the shelves taking out piles of parts.

Just yesterday i weighed about 15 different SID Worldcups and found one that was 15g lighter than the one i had up to today. By the way - the heaviest was a whopping 50g heavier.

Usually differences in smaller parts are within grams only. I found that it's mainly tires and frames that can differ quite dramatically. I would never buy a Schwalbe tire without weighing it before!! Those tires differ by up to 80g within the same size. I found Conti usually is within 20-30g lately. Rims: i was able to weigh Alex scandium rims from 314g up to 328g. i also ordered a set of uneyeletted Alex rims from Ebay and those supposedly should have weighed under 300g yet one was 305g, the other 315g....i definitely would have found really light ones too but i had no access there.

To have access to Scott to weigh all individual Scale framesets before they get wrapped and shipped would be cool.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Easy: When you're selling the pictured parts, tare the scale with something on it, then weigh the part in question. You will then have a impossibly magically lightweight part.

Next thing- thanks for mentioning that your distributor allows third parties to go through their stock of new inventory that's for the customer to open and play with. I'm sure the manufacturers want to know who this distributor is who is letting people play with goods that aren't theirs. I'm pretty sure that's going to be a violation of the distribution agreement and SRAM can pretty much pick anyone they want.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
huh!

Jerk_Chicken said:
Easy: When you're selling the pictured parts, tare the scale with something on it, then weigh the part in question. You will then have a impossibly magically lightweight part.

Next thing- thanks for mentioning that your distributor allows third parties to go through their stock of new inventory that's for the customer to open and play with. I'm sure the manufacturers want to know who this distributor is who is letting people play with goods that aren't theirs. I'm pretty sure that's going to be a violation of the distribution agreement and SRAM can pretty much pick anyone they want.
what's your problem?
i never fooled around with my scale.There is enough people out there that can re-measure so no need to do such jokes. you would get bad mouthed within a few weeks....i am around here for years and never cheated with my scales.

I actually have access to almost all distributors over here. There's nothing special about that. It's just a question of asking them...and i sure don't play around. You definitely have to take care and re-stuff all the parts into the shelves again as they were.

I usually don't open any boxes though. The forks for example were all OEM parts which don't come in a retail-box.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
rockyuphill said:
The challenge is finding a LBS with more than 1 or 2 of the items of interest in stock. That's pretty rare these days in Canada, except for high turnover items like chains, brake pads, popular tires, etc. the LBS's in this part of teh world only have one or two of any one item in stock. They order everything when you order it, which is why buying online is usually just as fast.
Atleast your local bike stores have some in hand. Everything is special order for me. Which means you are rolling the dice all the time.

·
Registered
219 Posts
nino said:
I usually don't open any boxes though. The forks for example were all OEM parts which don't come in a retail-box.
Now how would someone who doesn't have special access like Nino be able to weigh stuff in stores like tires? They often have some packaging that can't be removed without cutting things like zipties.....would you assume that the packaging is all the same weight from one to the next? Wouldn't that be funny if the weight tolerance for something like plastic packaging was more precise than the bike part itself.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Cheers! said:
Atleast your local bike stores have some in hand. Everything is special order for me. Which means you are rolling the dice all the time.
Not much stuff. They brought in one pair of Race King Supersonics, and I bought those. I don't think they were able to get another pair very quickly, they might have replaced them by now.

The Race Face Next cranks were the only set available in Canada when they ordered them for me.

Not much opportunity to weigh the nifty expensive stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.