Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a set of hayes that need seriously realigned on my nixon. so how does one go about doing this?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
You realize that the Hayes caliper has "float" to it, right? If you loosen the mounting bolts, it can wiggle side to side. If the rotor needs to come more outboard, you can use rotor shims between the rotor and the hub. If the rotor needs to move inboard, you can slide a couple of thin washers underneath the locknut of the hub.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
You realize that the Hayes caliper has "float" to it, right? If you loosen the mounting bolts, it can wiggle side to side. If the rotor needs to come more outboard, you can use rotor shims between the rotor and the hub. If the rotor needs to move inboard, you can slide a couple of thin washers underneath the locknut of the hub.
I think the question is more like "What if the faces of the post mounts are not aligned correctly, due to excessive paint, a worn manufacturing tool, or whatever?"

The answer is: The industry has not yet devised a way to face a post mount, and between the nature of the system and the manufacturers getting things straight, the need for one hasn't really come up yet. (As it has for IS mounts)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well kracker, you're right in that the alignment isn't right. also in that there really isn't a solution. however, i can assure you, i have a need for this to change.

avid cps hardware would fix the issue, but space the caliper further out on the radius of the disc. not something i really want to do.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
My LBS had to do this when I put my Hayes brakes from my 2001 Jekyll on
my new Rush frame .
The rear caliper didn't want to fit properly so they "faced" the rear mount .
They said they had this outrageously expensive machine that would remove material smoothly so it would fit .

They did a beauty job and it looks like it had been run under a milling machine .

Caliper now fits perfectly .

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
bighitdon said:
well kracker, you're right in that the alignment isn't right. also in that there really isn't a solution. however, i can assure you, i have a need for this to change.

avid cps hardware would fix the issue, but space the caliper further out on the radius of the disc. not something i really want to do.
What kind of fork do you have that your caliper isn't sitting right? I'm curious as to who's not sending out their castings properly prepped. I don't want to foster rumors, but I'd like to know.

All the old Manitou forks I had came with the post mounts obviously prepped by some tool in the factory, so it is possible to build it right. If Manitou can do it, so can everybody else.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Bring it to a machine shop. Or if you've got a steady hand... break out the file and dremel.
I've had to do the file with a RS Revelation that had globby paint on the disc tabs. I wish fork manufacturers would copy Magura's tab and dropout inserts...

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
05 manitou nixon. and it looks like the paint is the issue. bare on one side and black on the other. the fork doesn't appear to have ever been machined, so maybe they stopped doing that or something. i think my old sx fork had been through the machine.

i like how everyone missed the "post mount" part of the title

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
bighitdon said:
05 manitou nixon. and it looks like the paint is the issue. bare on one side and black on the other. the fork doesn't appear to have ever been machined, so maybe they stopped doing that or something. i think my old sx fork had been through the machine.

Uhhh... I didn't. And my replies reflect that.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
bighitdon said:

crisillo said:
I only hope that the other brands don't raise the prices on their "chi-chi bling" models, just to have Brembo status too....
What's that called again? Oh yeah, Fox's Syndrome. :eekster:

All joking aside - I hope as you do. It's one thing when a company can truly justify a high price (Formula's Puro is a good, positive example of this ..... ti = $$$). I can't help but feel that with Brembo's case a high overhead combined with little experience/tact with machining smaller parts is a big part of the high price.

I'd hope that $800/end is an MSRP, but with only 500 units produced i'm sure it'll really be ..... $800/end. Ummmmm, NO! :nono:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts