Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Sure you can, follow my instructions above.

I can see this complete thread, including all of the follow ups, and a thread tree.

·
oleum perdisti
1,996 Posts
Can you explain that to me like I'm two years old...

CraigH said:
Sure you can, follow my instructions above.

I can see this complete thread, including all of the follow ups, and a thread tree.

How do you do the hybrid view thing?

Sam

·
simply me
132 Posts
The question should probably read how do you see replies to threads in the 'Threads in Forum' view without having to click on each thread.

The answer is you can't.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
drsam said:
How do you do the hybrid view thing?
Sam
At the bottom left hand corner of this page, look for this text:

"
Switch to Linear Mode
Switch to Hybrid Mode
Switch to Threaded Mode

"

Click "Hybrid". This changes the display for this thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can also set Hybrid as your default viewing mode in your profile options.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
And this is supposed to be an improvement? *I* can see it isn't and I don't know squat. Why didn't the site owners buy software that WAS better or pay for getting software engineered to be better? Stuff that's worse when we're told it's better just annoys people and makes them visit less. That's not whining it's just choice, human nature, and common sense.

·
WAWE
1,432 Posts
Mike T. said:
And this is supposed to be an improvement? *I* can see it isn't and I don't know squat. Why didn't the site owners buy software that WAS better or pay for getting software engineered to be better? Stuff that's worse when we're told it's better just annoys people and makes them visit less. That's not whining it's just choice, human nature, and common sense.
Excellent question.

It's a classic case of newer isn't better.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Mike T. said:
Why didn't the site owners buy software that WAS better or pay for getting software engineered to be better?
The trouble is that it doesn't exist.

Francis posted on another thread that he has looked at 50 different board software packages.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
CraigH said:
The trouble is that it doesn't exist. Francis posted on another thread that he has looked at 50 different board software packages.

Pardon me for being a bit surprised by your repsonse Craig. As the dad of a son who programs for one of the world's biggest companies for a living (Alcan) and who paid for the education that it took for him to achieve that position I know that ANYTHING can be programmed.

They sit down with a client, analyze the need, and if the client is willing to spend the money they make the program. That's just what he's doing in Zurich this week.

Doesn't exsist? Looked at 50 packages? They left out the most important step. Ahemm.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Mike T. said:
Pardon me for being a bit surprised by your repsonse Craig. As the dad of a son who programs for one of the world's biggest companies for a living (Alcan) and who paid for the education that it took for him to achieve that position I know that ANYTHING can be programmed.

They sit down with a client, analyze the need, and if the client is willing to spend the money they make the program. That's just what he's doing in Zurich this week.

Doesn't exsist? Looked at 50 packages? They left out the most important step. Ahemm.
I wasn't involved in selecting the software, but I'm guessing they didn't want to write their own.

I know they wanted to standardize the software across all the Consumer Review sites.

I understand that vBulletin is open source and has a huge user base so support & knowledge is easy to get. (Adding the "sort by most recent thread" feature was done as they found someone that had already added that.)

Gregg is writing up a FAQ that answers most if not all of the questions that keep coming up.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
I hear ya Craig but it's just a frustrating time for those of us who care, are opinionated and verbose (a bad combo, I know). In a hundred years no-one will give a damn.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm confused again (or still, more likely)....I thought that the topic line went back to bold if there were replies I hadn't viewed....not the case with this thread.

Help?

Ken

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
Mike T. said:
Stuff that's worse when we're told it's better just annoys people and makes them visit less.
Where did you come up with this "fact"?

·
WAWE
1,432 Posts
It's supposed to but it's buggy.

AK Ken said:
I'm confused again (or still, more likely)....I thought that the topic line went back to bold if there were replies I hadn't viewed....not the case with this thread.

·
OG lurker
44 Posts
mtbr's deep pockets?

Mike T. said:
... I know that ANYTHING can be programmed...if the client is willing to spend the money they make the program...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this site isn't exactly a gold mine. Going open source is probably what's allowing this here circle of spit to continue. While guys like your son could be hired to program the latest greatest version of message board software ever concieved, it isn't likely to be a good biz decision in the long run.

I find it funny that the squeaky wheels bemoaning the changes seem to be the geriatric types. Change is good fellas, give it some time.

Crawling back under me rock,
B

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hop on over to Passion; the latest whiner over there is *rt*, a distinctly non geriatric type racer chick. Perhaps the squeaky wheels are mostly ones whose time is of some value, either in the marketplace or because they're 'geriatric' and ain't got as much of it to waste as the whelps who sing the 'change is good' song.

I'm all for change when it's for the better, and there's no way to know that without TRYING the change out. In that spirit I've owned several different suspension designs, 20 inch wheel Burro Bikes, Rohloff Speedhubs, and a 29 inch wheel bike. I would think that shows a relatively open mind.

Now here I am TRYING the new format, and FOR MY PURPOSES it is distinctly less efficient, fun, and interactive than the old one.

Call us when you get older; see if some of the changes you're experiencing then are good.

Ken

1 - 20 of 21 Posts