Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im just wondering how you guys make videos.
1. what kind of computer?

2.Camera?

3. editing program?

I ask my video teacher if i could use the USB for inporting and he said it wouldn't work as well. so how can i edit movies, I havve a SONY handycam and a pertty good Dell comptuer. I got a HP program that the camera will show up with BUT then it just drops off and the camera say's " conection Error". SO, got any ideas that might help me.

Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Get a Mac, which are better for these kinds of things. With a mac you could use imovie, which comes with the computer, or step it up and go Final Cut pro HD. Plus you could say goodbye to annoying pop-ups and virsuses

here are some clips from snowboarding and ride shots i edited in imovie. We shot these vids with my gf's little digi cam.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&n=2&videoid=690912589 snow vid

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&n=2&videoid=921884571 ride vid

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
fyck macs, unless you only do one or two things on your computer, you don't want to cripple yourself with that crap.
Connect your cam with a firewire cord, and get a decent program like Sony Vegas.
If you can't get ahold of that, try windows movie maker (free) or search the forums for recent threads on this topic.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
use windows movie maker 2, it's pretty simple. connect your dell to your camera with firewire or usb 2.0. and import the film in movie maker 2 and you can edit the movies, makes simple tittles, and do some effects, and it's all free as long as you have windows xp. but you do need the camera, and cable and pc, but software is free.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
freerider167 said:
use windows movie maker 2, it's pretty simple. connect your dell to your camera with firewire or usb 2.0. and import the film in movie maker 2 and you can edit the movies, makes simple tittles, and do some effects, and it's all free as long as you have windows xp. but you do need the camera, and cable and pc, but software is free.
thanks, how do you tell between a USB 1.0 or 2.0 im thinking that might be the problem b/c the connection some times just quites out on me

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i'm not sure on that one but having usb 1 causes problems, since you have a dell, if it's a recent model it should have usb 2.0. the cable may not be usb 2.0 or the usb port, that can cause problems becuase it is not fast enough to tranfser video

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
I use a Dell when I edit my videos. If you camcorder supports it (I think it does) get a Firewire card for your computer and import your movies through that.

I use a Sony MiniDV camera for recording my MTB stuff.

I have Ulead Media Studio Pro 6 for editing, but once school starts I'll be picking up Adobe Premier for my editing.

·
eminence front
367 Posts
sittingduck said:
fyck macs, unless you only do one or two things on your computer, you don't want to cripple yourself with that crap. .
I'm curious... why is a Mac so crippling?

Seriously, I'd like to know what you can do that I can't on my Mac (other than games, ill give you that, windows has a much larger selection)

EDIT: Also, if you didn't know, the company that brings you the 'crippling' computer you were talking about also developed the FireWire cable you're using.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
So the editing videos 101:

1. Computer: PC or Mac. I own both types...I have a desktop PC I built for gaming that uses the Windows operating system and I use Sony Vegas to edit my movies. About every single camera requires Firewire connection, either 400 or 800. Luckily, every single Mac offered today has a Firewire port, and ships with iMovie HD. Windows machines...its a gamble weather or not they all come with it, and definitley don't come with any good software. You need a fairly powerful PC/Mac. The rendering for the videos is mostly CPU intensive, so look into investing more for a better processor in your computer. A nice video card wouldn't kill anyone either....

2. Software: Windows Movie Maker is a complete joke, and I don't reccomend it at all. iMovie HD on the other hand, is part of the iLife 06 suite that comes with Macs. iLife is INSANE, all the programs are insanley powerful, easy to use, and allow you to get very creative. A lot of poeple think iMovie is a little dumbed down for people's usage, but you can expand your creativity with it. If you're looking for a new computer, I would highly suggest checking out a Mac. I got a MacBook as my college PC, and out of the box it comes with software to supplement all my digital media needs. iMovie HD includes anything and everything to get you going.

As for PC's, Sony Vegas Movie Studio is a good bet. It has a similar layout as iMovie, and its my movie editng software of choice for the PC. Its pretty affordable at around 40-60 dollars. It runs very smoothly with your camera and allows for a very professional finish. Highly reccomended.

3. Camera: MiniDV is the best way to go. These newer DVD Camcorders are for the complete basic user, who just wants to shoot and watch. MiniDV allows you to get much more serious with editing and making a movie. The tapes are cheap as hell, and the quality is unmatched. The Cameras itself range from price, but relativley the max you should consider spending is proabobly around $800 dollars. I reccomend Sony or Cannon, they offer the best bang for the buck, and their products are top notch. I would stay clear of JVC, there are many details that JVC tends to miss that Sony and Cannon offer.

Stay clear of those "Helmet Cam/Camcorder Flash Recorder Combos". The quality is relativley crappy, and they will get very costly to get more memory for. The MiniDV tape is proabobly about 3 dollars, but you get 90 minutes of tape, and 5 minutes of tape is the same as 1GB.

4. Connections: A firewire cable is going to be required...what sucks is that no part of the above includes it. The camera itself RARLEY includes it, the software...nope...the computer? Doubt it. Try ordering a basic one from NewEgg, if you hit the store, you're gonna pay about 5000% of its actual value. (They sell for close to 50 bucks at CompUsa!) If your computer DOESN'T have a firewire port, you may have to buy a PCI card, and upgrade your computer. If your computer is that old, consider a upgrade soon.

5. Extras: If you're gonna get serious consider the following items:
DVD Burner: Burn your movies straight to DVD, and back up your tape footage so you can reuse the tapes.
Large Hard Drive: If you plan on making a semi-full length video (20 mins or more) consider a very large hard drive. 5 Minutes of DV tape=1GB.
Larger Battery Pack: The standard battery included with the camcorder should get you about 90 Minutes with the LCD open...about 130 With LCD Closed. Do yourself a favor, invest about 70 bucks or so and grab the larger battery pack. Instead of 90 measly minutes, I now get about...600.....its essential if you're gonna be doing the MTB, don't miss any of the action!

Well...I hope this helps...if you have questions...ask away!

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
sittingduck said:
fyck macs, unless you only do one or two things on your computer, you don't want to cripple yourself with that crap.
Connect your cam with a firewire cord, and get a decent program like Sony Vegas.
If you can't get ahold of that, try windows movie maker (free) or search the forums for recent threads on this topic.
Funny...I own both the products you love and hate...but I completley concur about the Mac claim...Apple makes a impressive computer. If you don't need selective software, and want to use the computer to its potential with no flaws and great efficiency...a Mac is the way to go.

The new generation of Apple computers is a lot different than many people think.

(Sorry for the double post)

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
xray said:
Seriously, I'd like to know what you can do that I can't on my Mac (other than games, ill give you that, windows has a much larger selection)
It mainly boils down to the vastly superior selection of software.
CAD/CAM is the biggest factor for me, and games to a lesser extent. It's been a while since I had a mac, but I don't recall being able to customize things as easily either.
You can totally customize windows, even before you install it. A program like Nlite is a good example:
nLite is a tool for permanent Windows components removal and pre-installation Windows setup. After removal there is an option to make bootable image ready for burning on cd or testing in virtual machines. With nLite you will be able to have Windows installation which on install doesn't include, or even contain on cd, unwanted components.

Don't get me wrong, Macs are fine, and do certain tasks very well. If all you are doing is cutting a piece of string, you don't need a swiss army knife. My point is that windows can give you a LOT more options and possibilities.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Raptoredude u rock, I hope sometime I get to ride with u. All of your advice is really helpful. I think im going to get the fire wire board on my deal. First I need to look at booklet about if my Sony handy cam will work with fire wire .

Thanks

·
eminence front
367 Posts
sittingduck said:
It mainly boils down to the vastly superior selection of software.
CAD/CAM is the biggest factor for me, and games to a lesser extent. ....
Alright :thumbsup: You got some good points... i agree with you completely, except (as raptordude said) the newest generation of Mac's are probably (im not sure how familiar you are with them) much better than you think. Im sure it wouldn't change your POV, and i don't expect it to, but they arn't what they were 5 years ago.

Example being the Mac's with Intel processors can run OSX and Windows. You can have both installed on the same machine (and its not an emulator, you are either running Windows or OSX, not one inside the other).

Happy editing.

·
eminence front
367 Posts
paintballeerXC said:
Raptoredude u rock, I hope sometime I get to ride with u. All of your advice is really helpful. I think im going to get the fire wire board on my deal. First I need to look at booklet about if my Sony handy cam will work with fire wire .
Unless its an old camera (like the one I have, analog) it should work with FireWire, it's the standard nowadays.

I'm glad you're going to FireWire, I would never try to use USB 2.0 for video...FireWire is far superior.

AND not that anyone cares, but, technically USB 2.0 (480mb/s) has a faster data transfer than FireWire 400 (400mb/s), but in reality that is not true. In simple terms, USB uses a large portion of its bandwidth to co-ordinate the data transfer - resulting in a far slower transfer. And then along comes FireWire 800... no competition there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.