Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Generally I can work this stuff out but can't figure out how you guys draw those lines all over Google to measure distance ridden. Do I use Earth or Maps? Then what...

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Maybe this?

chumbox said:
Generally I can work this stuff out but can't figure out how you guys draw those lines all over Google to measure distance ridden. Do I use Earth or Maps? Then what..:
I believe you are talking about GPS tracks overlaid on Google Maps and/or Google Earth? The ride data from a GPS can be opened directly in Google Earth, and you can upload your data to sites like Motion Based and MTBGuru, which overlay it on Google Earth/Maps. Incredibly easy to do.

Try this link for the Google Map and below it open the Google Earth link, if GE is on your computer.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
what you want to do used to be a premium--that is available on the paid edition of earth. dont know if it comes with the latest earth release or not as I didn't find it very easy to use/ergonomic etc etc blah blah the one and only time I tried it---yes I actually used earth pro or whatever the paid edition was called for just a year. basic earth is just fine. and yes it was to draw a line over a route to calculate distance.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,938 Posts
If you are using the basic, free, Google Earth, and you want to draw right on it, there is a tool button called "add a path". It looks like 3 little squares connected by a line. Now you can use your mouse to drawn the path in GE. You will be able to save this file and name it but it will not measure the distance for you. There is a second button that looks like a ruler. It will allow you to measure your trail but you must retrace your path.

This is a lot of work.

The paid version will allow you to upload GPS tracks directly or with a small amount of ingenuity, you can transfer your GPS files to the free version. You have to convert the files. I am sure somebody out there has the directions.

Or, as posted above, there are Google Maps add ons that do almost the same thing for free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.