Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04' NRS1 and I want to upgrade the stem, bar, and headset. However, I'm confused as to what degree and length I need for the stem. I want to purchase a Thompson headset, Easton or RaceFace bar, and a Chris King head set.

If you guys have some pointers please let me know. I checked out Giants website but the geometry page did not help at least I don't think it did.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mr. A

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
MrAnderson said:
I have a 04' NRS1 and I want to upgrade the stem, bar, and headset. However, I'm confused as to what degree and length I need for the stem. I want to purchase a Thompson headset, Easton or RaceFace bar, and a Chris King head set.

If you guys have some pointers please let me know. I checked out Giants website but the geometry page did not help at least I don't think it did.

Thanks!
Mr. A
For the stem length measure fron the center of the handlbars to the center of the steering tube. Usually, stem lengths are in 10mm increments(sometimes 5mm) between 90mm and 130mm.

For rise, generally, on production bikes you see stems in the range of 3-8 degrees of rise, typically around 5. Just by looking at the picture on the giant web site, it looks like it is close to a 5 degree. I think Thomson only makes 0, 5 and 15 degree stems. If your stem looks pretty close to the one on the Giant web site, then you should proably go with a 5 degree stem unless you're trying to correct a fit problem. You could also take your bike to a bike shop and compare known stems to your stem.

Unless you are trying to correct a fit problem or there is something wrong with these components, there are probably better upgrades to spend your money on.

FRC

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Same problem here.

MrAnderson said:

Thanks!
Mr. A
I knew I wanted a shorter & higher-rise than the Thomson I had on there. I bought a cheapo from Performance, taking it back after I determined it was too high. I traded it for another, and by then, I was pretty close to knowing what I wanted, then ordered another Thomson. 15 degree rise, 90mm long. Find stores or friends who will let you try theirs.

Of course, you're going to have to figure in the rise of the bars, too (if you're getting a riser). Maybe find a bar you like, then buy the stem around the bar?

Maybe try in the Giant forum here, too? Ask what people are riding, and what kind of riding they do. http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=32

fp

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.