Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
cmktech said:
How do you cope with things when you are really down, frustrated, sad, mad, angry at people and the world.

Do you get out and ride? What if it is 105 degrees.
Bible, bike, family, friends. In that order, get me through.

Remember we all have strengths and weaknesses, and highs and lows with our emotions and they vary day by day.

Somedays we call for help because of our weakness, it's normal.

Someday you will be called on because of your strengths.

·
racerxcaliber
42 Posts
Riding not working???

Can you get out in the early morning before the day heats up?

If you're REALLY down and angry, not just about one thing but about many things, and if this has been going on for awhile, i.e. a few weeks, and you can't get yourself out of it using your usual coping mechanisms . . .

. . . then it may be time to talk to a counselor or check with your family doctor to see if you're experiencing clinical depression. If you are, the good news is that depression is treatable. Don't wait until life completely sucks. Do it now.

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was very inspiring :), it just sucks when the sky is black above you and about to start pouring down, I want to get away and ride but my lonely rides are starting to take a toll on me, sometimes it's nice to ride and talk with someone, unfortunately, I don't have that luxury.

In any case, thanks Fred.

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pavlov's Dog said:
Can you get out in the early morning before the day heats up?

If you're REALLY down and angry, not just about one thing but about many things, and if this has been going on for awhile, i.e. a few weeks, and you can't get yourself out of it using your usual coping mechanisms . . .

. . . then it may be time to talk to a counselor or check with your family doctor to see if you're experiencing clinical depression. If you are, the good news is that depression is treatable. Don't wait until life completely sucks. Do it now.
Definately not like that, I think I'm stuck in a rut.

·
beer thief
4,931 Posts
cmktech said:
How do you cope with things when you are really down, frustrated, sad, mad, angry at people and the world..
It's all about perspective. You're going to be dead a long time, don't sweat the small stuff. And the big stuff? It's part of life, look at it as an opportunity for growth and/or change. Don't sit around and mope, get out and do something about what's bugging you. Exercise and take in activities that require focus, so you can clear your head.

cmktech said:
Do you get out and ride? What if it is 105 degrees.
Get up before the sun and ride early. It won't be 105 then.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Post a ride on your local board, find some people to ride with. It'll ake your mind off your troubles, it'll get you out of the house, it'll make you feel better.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
cmktech said:
Definately not like that, I think I'm stuck in a rut.
You should probably be a bit more specific. I think alot of us around MTBR have been in "ruts" before. It just all depends on the situation. Job stress? Loss of a loved one? Breakup/divorce? Financial problems?

·
Hoopy Frood
255 Posts
Riding (or any kind of physical exercise) helps to clear my head. But I really just try to focus on the good stuff in my life and realize that there's a lot of people in the world who would switch places with me in an instant no matter how bad I think my life is right now.

When life is really crappy, spending time with my family or just playing with my dog can help me forget my problems, gain some insight, and re-focus.

It's good to get out and try helping other people, too. Being altruistic and making a difference in your community or in someone else's life can help with your outlook in life. I find that helping other people solve their problems often helps me solve mine - or, at least, puts them in perspective.

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
As a kart racer from a past life, I can tell you that racing and college would be tough. Tough to do either as well as you'd like, so both would suffer. Go to school and do you studying and school thing. Get a good job and then you can get back to racing, and not be hamstrung by someone else with the $$$.

You could stick with racing and go solo. Yea, you won't have the trailer with the AC and the custom helmet. You'll be carrying your kart (because you won't afford one of those fancy minisprints) in the back of whatever car you're driving. You might have to use last weekend's race tires for this week's practice. But you'll be racing. And supporting yourself...not depending on someone to hand you the equipment.

A National win shows a lot of talent. That talent will show through in any class you pick. Go with something cheap...KT100 was the class back in my day, but I'm sure there is something else now.

The wins will even feel better when you are supporting it all yourself.

You don't need no stinking sponsor!

B

Attachments

• 183.6 KB Views: 644

·
Registered
52 Posts
Get out there and market yourself to other teams. It's the sponsor's choice and you need to deal with it and move on. As a team owner/driver I've had several big-money deals fall through at the last minute - it's the name of the game. Whatever you do, don't burn that bridge, the guy could put in a good word for you or be in a position to help you out down the road.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
cmktech said:
Now that I have fallen in love with mtb, I can see myself forgetting racing (*eek*) and graduating from college, working, and having some nice bikes in the garage.
good plan

·
Registered
353 Posts
First off, sit down and have a calm, rational chat with your parents, and explain what you're feeling, and how it's tough on you, emotionally, to ack like nothing is wrong. they are probably just acting that way as a cover, to try not to get you all worked up. You're their kid, and they want you to be emotionally stable and to enjoy life. If you don't want to hang with the sponsor's kid, then tell your parents. If they can, and are willing, to support your carting habit, then great. If you decide to move on, then sell the carts and you have lots of cash for some sweet MTBs.

Also, go out and find another passion if you can't race carts any more. MTBing is a damn good replacement and can be done solo or with almost anyone you meet. Go for an epic solo ride, take a camera, stop a lot and take some cool pictures. It'll get your mind on something else fun. Go to the local forum for your area here on MTBR and find some other guys to ride with. New friends will get your mind onto other possibilites.

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JohnnyTooBad said:
First off, sit down and have a calm, rational chat with your parents, and explain what you're feeling, and how it's tough on you, emotionally, to ack like nothing is wrong. they are probably just acting that way as a cover, to try not to get you all worked up. You're their kid, and they want you to be emotionally stable and to enjoy life. If you don't want to hang with the sponsor's kid, then tell your parents. If they can, and are willing, to support your carting habit, then great. If you decide to move on, then sell the carts and you have lots of cash for some sweet MTBs.

Also, go out and find another passion if you can't race carts any more. MTBing is a damn good replacement and can be done solo or with almost anyone you meet. Go for an epic solo ride, take a camera, stop a lot and take some cool pictures. It'll get your mind on something else fun. Go to the local forum for your area here on MTBR and find some other guys to ride with. New friends will get your mind onto other possibilites.
I totally forgot about that - I really enjy taking photos, and never put the 2 and 2 together- DOH! I will try that!

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's often nice to ride alone. You can set your own pace and really get away from everything. I usually prefer riding alone, especially when I'm training, but sometimes it's good to have some company--someone to hang with and someone who will look out for you when you try stuff you've never done before.

Try to find some people around your area with similar riding skills and preferences (you might start by trying to find some people in the forum for your state here on mtbr). Also, take road trips to trails a few hours away. The new terrain will feel good.

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
cmktech said:
When you won over 50 main events, a grand national championship, and were living it up, it's hard to just move on, even though I have to.
Wow, nice work with all those wins :thumbsup: - they can't take away the past.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.