Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
That's what I do...

I put an extra bottle of water in my jersey pocket. Just make sure you don't hose yourself down with Cytomax. On some really hot rides I'll fill my camelbak with ice and drink the ice water as the ice melts. That cools you down from the inside.

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
708 Posts
During the hotter races in FL I would fill bottles/bladder with ice and always carry an extra bottle hose off with....head, neck & legs. Try not to tap into what you would normally drink from or you will end up with dehydration problems.

Also in your training for these events make sure you are riding in similar conditions to give your body a chase to adapt. Obviously training every day in the peak heat of a 100* day could be very draining, but doing it a couple times a week will help your body become more efficient at dissipating heat.

Eddie O

·
Registered
408 Posts
keepin' cool

How long is your hair? I keep mine SHORT (like half an inch long on top, less on the sides) during racing season. Makes a big difference, you'd be surprised how much insulation you get from having your hair just an inch long.

Added bonues: no combing in the morning. Minimal helmet head. I can cut it myself & spend the savings on bike parts & races.

Cheers,

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
kretzel said:
How long is your hair? I keep mine SHORT (like half an inch long on top, less on the sides) during racing season. Makes a big difference, you'd be surprised how much insulation you get from having your hair just an inch long.

Added bonues: no combing in the morning. Minimal helmet head. I can cut it myself & spend the savings on bike parts & races.

Cheers,
Hair doesn't make much a difference. Mine is 5-6 inches and very curly/bulky.
Helmets change it all. Get one with lots of air holes. And if you are not on a very limited budget, there are some +130$ helmets with more air holes than helmet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses. I carry a camelback for drinking, a bottle of water (that fits under my frame and can be a hassle) for cooling down my head, short hair, had a giro pneumo now a bell sweep xc helmet. i say i race for the fun of it but when i line up with everyone something kicks in to be a little competetive. I guess the good thing is i can do this and not collapse.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ice cubes in the helmet holes.. i will try but i bet they fall out when i see my first anything to get some air off of.

i bet you could somehow freeze water into the holes like making popsicles. - that would make me laugh if i saw this done.

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
jimonthecake said:
ice cubes in the helmet holes.. i will try but i bet they fall out when i see my first anything to get some air off of.

i bet you could somehow freeze water into the holes like making popsicles. - that would make me laugh if i saw this done.
careful with that one, water expands when it freezes, don't wanna wreck a perfectly good helmet :eek:

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
jimonthecake said:
Maybe you could solve this with old school mesh helmet covers....in fluro pink or yellow to be truely retro hehe

Stu

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.