Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend went with me on his first trail ride. He doesn't own a helmet and didn't want to use one of my spare helmets.

What should/can I do? How do you convince someone to use a helmet. I'm sure that he'd be the kind of guy to refuse to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle too.

·
Pimpmobile
487 Posts
Tell him he can't ride with you without a helmet....

Show him some easily googled pictures of head injuries....

Call him a complete idiot...

·
Banned
202 Posts
Take an egg out of the fridge and throw it into his fore head, then say, "That is what your head will feel like when you crack it into a tree stump".

·
YOU SCRATHED MY BIKE!!!!
240 Posts
set him up in the advance trail when its slippery the rest happens naturally lol XD

·
Registered
183 Posts
hardwarz said:
My friend went with me on his first trail ride. He doesn't own a helmet and didn't want to use one of my spare helmets.

What should/can I do? How do you convince someone to use a helmet. I'm sure that he'd be the kind of guy to refuse to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle too.
Take out a life insurance policy on him, then take him to some crazy trails :thumbsup:. For real he makes the bed he sleeps in and some people just don't value what they have. Tell him that you won't roll with him if he dosn't want to wear a helmet :nono: because you don't want to drag his lump of skin out of the bush because he was to cool to protect himself .

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
He's a grown adult...if he doesn't want to wear a helmet that is his choice

I think people who ride w/o helmets are retards (at least there is a good chance they will be someday) but I don't believe in helmet laws for adults.

BTW-I broke a helmet in three pieces in 1999...major concussion with lingering effects to this day...but I'm still alive and riding instead of maggot food

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
graywolf said:
Push him down and step on his head... I never wore them till I joined the army hen I had to, now they don't bug me
Maybe that's why helmets don't bother me! lol

Infantry Marine = wear a helmet all the time and carry a heavy pack! lol.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Here's what I do:

me: You really should wear a helmet out here, dude.
him: I don't want to.
me: You're an adult make your own decisions.

And then we go ride.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ask him why he doesn't want to use your helmet. Maybe he's germophobic. If he doesn't believe it can save him, show him some articles and photos of head injuries. That's about all you can do if he's an adult. Of course you can always opt not to ride with him.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Me my kids are either with me riding or see me leave/ comeback so I want to set a good example. That is a main reason I wear one.

·
Professional Speed Bump
755 Posts
bad mechanic said:
Personally, I won't ride with someone who doesn't wear a helmet. It's just not worth it to me.
+1

You should absolutely refuse to ride with him and explain why:
"Sooner or later, you will crash. If you ride enough, that's pretty much guaranteed...and since your dumbass refuses to wear a helmet, your head will likely be cracked. Now, since you crashed and have brain all over the trail, I have to interrupt my ride so that I can get a friggin ambulance to haul your below 70 IQ ass out of my trail. On top of that, just so I don't become the ass-hole here, I have to carry your stupid mangled bike out of the trail along with my own, and then instead of continuing my ride that I do with what little precious spare time I have in my busy life...I have to go to the hospital so that I can explain to your family that they spawned a lamebrain halfwit and to explain to the doctors 'no, you don't need to put his brain back in...it doesn't work anyways.'"

And then tell him "You can go ride by yourself. At least if you crash, I wouldn't know about it and it wouldn't ruin my ride. If I see you on the side of the trail with tofu spilling out of your egg, I'm gonna pretend I didn't see you."

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nachomc said:
Here's what I do:

me: You really should wear a helmet out here, dude.
him: I don't want to.
me: You're an adult make your own decisions.

And then we go ride.
This is what I did last night. After the ride, he said, "Wow, that' some pretty serious riding" I said, "That's why you should wear a helmet, so you don't crack your head on a rock while going through a rock garden." He still said he doesn't want to wear a helmet. :-\

Maybe I'll just buy him one.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts