Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got some new brake pads for my commuter with cantalivers... Will the new brakes work better if the old brake pad goop is cleaned off? How do you guys clean it off? Sand paper? Chemicals?

:confused:

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Scotch Brite pads rule when it comes to removing brake residue and clean rims equal better stopping.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,450 Posts
Cut out a little square of scouring pad - the non metal sort - and wedge it b/w you brake pad and rim - do one side at a time. You might need to back off the cable a bit. Then just ride around with the brakes held on slightly - will shine the braking track up nicely.

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
fmf said:
Well, I got some new brake pads for my commuter with cantalivers... Will the new brakes work better if the old brake pad goop is cleaned off? How do you guys clean it off? Sand paper? Chemicals?

:confused:
I use isopropyl alcohol, aka rubbing alcohol, from the drugstore. Cheap, not particularly toxic at 10% dilution (standard commercial blend) and non-flamable, unlike acetone: http://www.bu.edu/es/labsafety/ESMSDSs/MSAcetone.html

Kathy

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
get disc brakes and you will never have to clean your wheels again. That's my main problem with rim brakes. Once the rims get dirty the performance drops off.

When I did have rim brakes I remember using a bucket of soapy water and a scotchbrite pad.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm. So far I think I'll go with nail polish remover ( looked at the ingredients Acetone was the main one) and Scotch brite like pads... I like the put a piece of scotch brite between the rim and pad and ride technique too! Cant wait to give it a try.

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,899 Posts
The trick with using acetone or i. alchohol is to make sure you get the sopping material just wet enough to do about a quarter section at a time. This should not allow any drips and once the material evaporates you don't have to worry about the brake pad material being damaged. This is why you use acetone or alchohol by the way, because it evaporates and leave no residue as opposed to paint thinner or mineral spirits which can stay on too long, if you go this route anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.