Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot of recomendations to change the oil in Manitou Minute forks. Also guys recommending that levels need to be checked. How do I check the oil level and/or replace the oil? I have a Minute 3:00. I'd appreciate any detailed information. :confused:
Thanks in advance,
Ronnie.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Check the Answer Products Website for the Manuals

Ronnie said:
I've read a lot of recomendations to change the oil in Manitou Minute forks. Also guys recommending that levels need to be checked. How do I check the oil level and/or replace the oil? I have a Minute 3:00. I'd appreciate any detailed information. :confused:
Thanks in advance,
Ronnie.
If you check the website on the following page, http://www.answerproducts.com/helpdesk.asp, you can get the owners manual and service guides for any of the Manitou Forks by indicating the year and model of the fork. The instructions are as detailed as you need to do a full service on the fork.

John W.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
papajohn said:
If you check the website on the following page, http://www.answerproducts.com/helpdesk.asp, you can get the owners manual and service guides for any of the Manitou Forks by indicating the year and model of the fork. The instructions are as detailed as you need to do a full service on the fork.

John W.
Thanks for the reply. I've downloaded the service manual but I don't want to strip the fork down. It's just that some guys are recomending that the forks often don't have the right oil level and I would like to know how one checks it and if its necessary, replace it.

Ronnie.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Ronnie said:
Thanks in advance,
Ronnie.
You set it to the long travel 130mm mode, remove the air from the SPV, remove the top cap (unscrew and give it a good tug), and measure from the crown down to the top of the oil in the chamber. It should be about 84mm from the top of the crown to the top of the oil.

To replace the semi-bath you'll need to remove the legs. Be carefull with the damping side, the bolt is sort of reverse threaded. You need to screw it in to get the legs off. Just follow the direction in the manual carefully, and you'll be fine. 16cc in each leg. You can use the official Motorex semi-bath fluid or any synthetic 5W40 motor oil.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Homebrew said:
You set it to the long travel 130mm mode, remove the air from the SPV, remove the top cap (unscrew and give it a good tug), and measure from the crown down to the top of the oil in the chamber. It should be about 84mm from the top of the crown to the top of the oil.

To replace the semi-bath you'll need to remove the legs. Be carefull with the damping side, the bolt is sort of reverse threaded. You need to screw it in to get the legs off. Just follow the direction in the manual carefully, and you'll be fine. 16cc in each leg. You can use the official Motorex semi-bath fluid or any synthetic 5W40 motor oil.
I just got started on getting the job done. I just fitted a new SPV Evolve damper. I have a few questions which are unclear in the manual. Is the Semi Bath Oil different to the Motorex 5Wt Fork Oil? Also what type of oil is used for the SPV damper.
Thanks,

Ronnie.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Ronnie said:
I just got started on getting the job done. I just fitted a new SPV Evolve damper. I have a few questions which are unclear in the manual. Is the Semi Bath Oil different to the Motorex 5Wt Fork Oil? Also what type of oil is used for the SPV damper.
Thanks,

Ronnie.
Use the Motorex 5WT. oil for the SPV damper. You can use any other brand fork oil you like, Manitou just specs Motorex.
For the semi-bath you need to use a heavier oil like the 5W40 Mobil SUV oil. Or you can get the Motorex brand semi-bath fluid.

I used the Mobil oil for my semi-bath and Golden Spectro damper oil (10wt.) in my Minute Three, and it works beautifully.

After you get it all done and have a few rides on the fork, let us know how you like the new SPV damper. Also how it differs from the Stock set-up.

Greg

·
Code Burr
1,382 Posts
Ronnie said:
Thanks,

Ronnie.
How did you get the new damper?
Will manitou swap them out or mail you one?
I've got a minute one on the way and would love to upgrade it to the newer damper.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thebronze said:
How did you get the new damper?
Will manitou swap them out or mail you one?
I've got a minute one on the way and would love to upgrade it to the newer damper.
I phoned Manitou and told them that I wanted to upgrade to SPV Evolve. They were great, very helpfull and sent the new SPV rod to me. Just a word of advice to anyone doing the upgrade. I'm speaking from experience. The teflon ring on the new type is very vulnerable and I damaged one trying to get it through the threads on the bottom of the right stanchion. Grease it up well and gently "screw" it past the thread.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yogreg said:
What was the charge for the Evolve?
I'm in Switzerland and had to pay postage, import duty etc. so I'll mislead you. Phone them and ask.

Ronnie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.