Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking because in the near 13 years I've been riding MTBs, even at the very start when I hadn't a clue and was just learning about working on/servicing bikes, I never, ever have managed to do this, yet somehow a guy managed to do this when trying to install a chain :eek:ut: :rolleyes:

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
39,563 Posts
That was a record breaking move of 21 minutes from the General Discussion forum to here. :yesnod::incazzato:

·
passed out in your garden
2,930 Posts
well if you are installing it with chain breaker, its surely possible

Ba Boom Tish

Thank you lm here all week, try the Veal Parma folks

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, neither am I as I can't figure out HTF you can manage to do it :eek:ut: Guy said a guy he rides with was trying to help him fit the new chain and broke the actual pin, not snapped off the extra guide bit or anything, but broke the actual pin :???:
I'm not really sure what you're asking?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Your Best Friend
5,411 Posts
I push it through with the chain tool and then flip the tool to the other side, bind the pin in the tool and bend to the side. Snaps right off. Didn't realize it was that hard.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,988 Posts
Honestly, neither am I as I can't figure out HTF you can manage to do it :eek:ut: Guy said a guy he rides with was trying to help him fit the new chain and broke the actual pin, not snapped off the extra guide bit or anything, but broke the actual pin :???:
Maybe that little anecdote would have been helpful in the OP.

As for how that happens, beats the f*ck out of me. I hate those damn pins. Quicklinks all the way.

·
Magically Delicious
10,321 Posts
I have the Quick links - Power Locks on all my chains now, but over the many years, I've pinned dozens and dozens of Shimano chains.

·
Registered
15,426 Posts
Unless the pin was severely defective it's impossible to break one during installation IME. Pics or it didn't happen.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's what I figured, never, ever have I been able to actually break a pin, but this guy said the scientist who was helping him managed to :skep: I'm thinking the moron only broke off the guide section and didn't know any better, no pics they say. Personally, Power/Quick links all the way, for 10spd that's the KMC re-usable ones, but yeah, never managed to break an actual pin, even when I was first "learning" on my first bike :skep:

Unless the pin was severely defective it's impossible to break one during installation IME. Pics or it didn't happen.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A little butt hurt I see, maybe Mr. 006_007 can take it a bit easier next time :p
We know who got a lump of coal for xmas this year.

Shove it in yer a$$ and it will be a diamond in no time being that tightly wound!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts