Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hot here in Texas this year. I'm really enjoying my bike but the heat is kicking my butt. I'm getting up early, filling my camelback with ice water and soaking my head and jersey before I head out. Still, the heat has me cutting some rides short. What tips do you have for beating the heat?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well we tried to buy one of those 10' x 6' inflatable kids pools, but they were back-ordered so for now it's the sprinkler. Texas in the summer? Hydrate the night before. I'd say get the rides in very early in the day, like 7 or 8am if possible (even earlier if you need to). How early are you heading out? Once it hits noon, get out of the sun.

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
True Story:
While doing some shopping this winter online, I was looking for some work shirts for hot weather. I came across Gorgonz T-Shirts for work. The reviews I read on it were great and they had the same thing in common. A couple of them were bikers who were using the shirts for riding.

Why? Because their made of a cooling fabric that dissipates heat and dries 4 times faster than cotton. So, I bought them for work (Roofing & Carpentry).

And guess what...they work! I actually noticed a substantial difference between working with one of these shirts and a regular cotton shirt (mind you, a roof is a good 30-40 degrees hotter than the ground).

So, I use them as the reviewers used them...for biking.

I wouldn't recommend you buy Gorgonz. They cost a good $40. each, but there are lesser expensive shirts made "just for" biking. They make an incredible difference and as for me, I was no where near as heat fatigued as I used to be.

Worth their weight in gold.

That and CoolMax socks. I use them too (for work, Carhartt brand) and now I use them for biking as well. So far, they work fine. Their worth the $10.each. At the end of the day, you notice it.

Try a source like this some good cooling gear:
Shirts
http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/Items.asp?Cc=CL-JER
Socks
http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/Items.asp?Cc=CL-SOC

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,818 Posts
bsdc said:
It's hot here in Texas this year. I'm really enjoying my bike but the heat is kicking my butt. I'm getting up early, filling my camelback with ice water and soaking my head and jersey before I head out. Still, the heat has me cutting some rides short. What tips do you have for beating the heat?
How I beat the heat in NorCal

1. Start drinking water about an hour before the ride.
2. Use an electrolyte replacement drink before and during ride.
3. I use Sport Beans during ride
4. Know what, when and where works for you. If I haven't done any preride hydration it will be a very painful ride.

·
Registered
19,146 Posts
When I lived in Southern AZ and it was over 95F (often), I gave up on the idea of riding for more than an hour or so. When it was over 105F I just gave up altogether and went to the movies instead. That was my technique.

I'm glad I moved.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Here in GJ, high temps have been in the mid-90s for 2 weeks, but it's always much cooler in the early morning, like 65-70 degrees. That's when I ride. Get finished by 8 or 9 in the morning.

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
AZ?

OMGosh!

Please, don't remind me!

115-120 degree days in the height of summer!

I don't know how they live there! I spent a few months out there.

It must be nice there in the winter/fall seasons though, but Pheonix in the summer?

Loved the desert though!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
We're getting the peak summer temps in AZ right now. I plan my rides to finish up before the temp reaches the max temp I want to ride in (for me that is 90F). With Accuweather hourly temp predictions, it is pretty easy to figure when I want to finish. Then with a good idea of how long my ride will take, I can figure when I need to start, so I can finish when I want. This technique should work for anyone. Today, I had an hour ride starting at 6:30a and finishing at 7:30a.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
aclimatize--in other words just deal with it--i know most people dont want to, here in TX I'd often be the only one show up for club rides on evenings during the summer.

other than that, what everyone else said. 100 oz bladder much better than 70 oz bladder. stop in the shade and rest if you start getting dizzy or feel like puking--there will be a moment like that on most summer rides I've found. well maybe not that bad--but you get the drift.

·
youenjoymyself
79 Posts
Hammer Nutrition - Heed. my wife and I swear by it as we used it for training and racing in marathon canoe races in TX. (summer races with 100 degree heat or close to it) we've also used a 50/50 mix of gatorade/water but HEED is a much better product.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,640 Posts
bsdc said:
I'm getting up early, filling my camelback with ice water
Bad idea right there. Don't fill up your camelback with ice, the cold water shocks the hell out of your body and you end up feeling pretty sick and drained a lot earlier than you would if the water temp was a little more normal. Being acclimated, prepared and going out for a reasonable ride is what needs to happen. First of all, some parts of Texas are about as much "year round riding" as some parts of Arizona, so you will have to curtail your activities to some extent. Your body will simply go through more water than you can possibly carry, and you'd also need the electrolytes to do anything with a whole lot more water. That means you'll have to scale back a bit.

We just did a reasonable ride this am, but it wasn't very early so we were riding in 90 degree or more heat most of the time (this in Arizona).

What made it possible for me was a good base of food before hand, must have the glucose in the system and the carbo reserves to ride, otherwise you could end up in a world of hurt. Food for breakfast was a bagel, 3 slices of bread and a bananna (potasium). I tried to drink a lot of water before hand, I have a 100oz camelback, and I took additional water with me. If you're not using this much water or more, that's probably your number one problem. In the real heat 100oz in an hour or so is a reality, and you can probably stretch to two hours with that and some extra water, but a dinky 70oz camelback or a waterbottle isn't going to cut it. So drinking lots of water and staying hydrated is just oh-so-important. A lot of people don't want to go through the "trouble" of actually doing this though. Also make sure during the ride you are eating about every 45 minutes, otherwise you're glucose will drop down and you'll bonk. Obviously it takes a lot of water to digest food and keep your body cool, so ride in a place where you can get water if necessary.

I use a loose-fitting sleveless jersey that is a pretty light mesh, it breathes much better than most "cycling" jerseys that I see, so that helps me a bit.

Not sure what else you can do, I know how hot and nasty it stays in texas at night and even in the morning lots of times. I try to do evening rides here when it's really hot, and the nice thing is that it's usually getting better the entire time while you are riding and the sun is getting lower, but I don't think the temperature will drop as much as it does here. Even though I don't really consider it to every be "too hot" to ride where I'm at (because I don't live in phoenix), I still go up to higher elevation a good deal, as well as our local trails go up pretty nicely too. That kind of allows many of us that live in mountainous areas an "escape", so that's where we get a lot of summer riding as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Riding here in Louisiana its a steamy hot because of the humidity, so it feels like im always in a steam room which keeps me smothered and soaked from start to finish. I carry a rag with me for my face which helps me mentally to keep my face wiped. And I keep the rides short and rest inbetween when its real hot out. When im on the state park trail there is a pavillion with a swing, I take a loop then when I get back I get a drink and swing on the swing, it keeps the air moving and wind on me helping me cool down.

·
is no longer new
131 Posts
bsdc said:
you don't.... Mother Nature > man.

bask in the heat.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
How I beat the heat.

Play guitar in the shade or basement.

Go to pool with kids.

Head out of town to cottage and repeat the play guitar or swim with kids thing.

;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.