Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read with great interest about people's other passions and how they fit their riding into busy weekly schedule.

Riding both road and mountain is my #1 passion. I've also got other outdoor pursuits that I like to do like trail running and hiking and backpacking and camping. Unfortunately those have fallen by the wayside because I want to be a stronger rider and have just been riding throughout the week. While I understand other activities like running and lifting can help contribute to someone being a better rider, I also understand that the only way to be a better rider is to just ride as much as you can.

Just like everyone else around here, outside of doing physical activities, I am busy with work (I work fulltime and also have a parttime job at REI), errands/to-do's, house crap, etc.

So is anyone in the same boat as me? I wish I had a ton of free time so that I can be active in other areas too, but as of right now, it seems impossible.

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
75 Posts
I tend to go in spurts where I focus a lot of energy on one passion, and not so much on the others. Then after a while it'll switch. I can't explain it, my brain just does it. My big problem is balancing my money between my priorities and my passions/addictions!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm with Hans on this one; money is such a limiter when it comes to everything else. I'm going to try and combine two of my passions. Well, three actually. Go mountain bike camping with my daughter. Bam! All three; ride, camp, daughter.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Can I say freaky circus sex?

:)

That has led to my other passions... my kids.

The boys are aspiring roadies as well as MBr's and the girls still have training wheels.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
I wish my school had a MTB team... :(
You could try to get one started! The team at my school started because one of the students wanted to start it. They approached the principal and asked if a club could be formed. He said yes, as long as there is an advisor. They talked to me and the rest is history. 5 years and going strong.

Chris

·
You got any chocolate?
245 Posts
I have a motorcycle that I used to ride frequently until MTBing came along. Now I ride the m/c here and there (mostly charity rides). I am thinking of selling the bike, just don't have the heart to do it yet. So many great road trips to remember!

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
ctxcrossx said:
You could try to get one started! The team at my school started because one of the students wanted to start it. They approached the principal and asked if a club could be formed. He said yes, as long as there is an advisor. They talked to me and the rest is history. 5 years and going strong.

Chris
Yeah, I've been thinking about that, but I don't know of any teachers that ride. :nonod:

·
In the rear with the gear
494 Posts
Just takes the ability to juggle family and work to fit riding in. Helps to have a wife that's cool with me go riding at wierd times of the day, early morning before the kids are up or after work. The longer rides with the guys have to be limited to once or twice a month, I figure until the kids are old enough to get involved in their own activities.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Riding has always been my number one passion, even though I don't get to ride that often anymore. Due to work and other obligations I mainly ride during the warmer months (March to Oct) at least once a week. Camping, hiking, and fishing usually I do with family, my girlfriend, and dog so everyone stays happy. My girlfriend is just getting into riding, which makes me very happy:) , should afford me some more trail time in the near future. Winters are spent snowboarding, don't get to snowboard as often as I used to when I lived in Boone, but I at least try to go a few times a month.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
I am a highschooler, so I have the summer off. I have a job, but that's just evenings, so I ride all day. :) Like Shiggy said, whadaya mean, other passions? :confused:
hm, I know this one highschool kid in NY who rides all the time, I think he may even work in a shop and race too? Not really sure. pretty sure he rides a hardtail too, you guys might get along.

;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.