Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How do we not have this???

3K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Descent 5.75 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm new to Arizona and have definitely caught the mtb bug. I live in the west valley and can't get enough of the flow at FINS. The jumps at Papago are pretty sweet and I'm trying to plan a much anticipated trip to NRA. What I don't get is how Phoenix or even Arizona doesn't have a REAL 4X (Four Cross) track!? I would think with all the bmx tracks(trying to do 4X but it's not the same), shuttles, and demand for dirt jumps there would be at least one. I grew up racing bmx all over the state of Florida and would love to get into this! It looks like it's pretty big in Europe and they have one in Fontana, CA but to bad it's at least 5 hours away. So...

What's up with that Arizona?

#7 ·
kubo said:
I thought I remember estrella doing 4x racing a little while back. But it sounded like they were having a tough time finding people...? Correct me if I am wrong
He's talking about track on a incline. The BMXs track here let 26" ride, and it's fun as hell...but they are all flat tracks with a starting hill. Not build on the side of a big hill like in the videos.

#8 ·
kubo said:
I thought I remember estrella doing 4x racing a little while back. But it sounded like they were having a tough time finding people...? Correct me if I am wrong
Yeah I've been out there a couple times in the past few weeks with Luckybastard. It's pretty fun but REAL 4X is built on a decline. The Estrella track is just a bmx track. Like I said it's still tons of fun but I want to get on real 4X track like the ones in the video's above. More speed with less pedaling. We have plenty of mountains and you don't need THAT MUCH land. Hopefully AZnewbie can eventually get that bike skills park rolling that'll include a (one more time) REAL 4X track. I'm just going to have to make a trip to Fontana, Ca in the mean time. That, or maybe a little NRA pit action is all I need.

#10 ·
luckybastard said:
He's talking about track on a incline. The BMXs track here let 26" ride, and it's fun as hell...but they are all flat tracks with a starting hill. Not build on the side of a big hill like in the videos.
Does Tucson still have one? When I was a kid, there was a really cool BMX track at Reid (or Randolph) Park, right in the middle of to. If memory serves, they started at the top of a hill, and the course had with sloped turns, jumps, etc.

It's been 15-20 years since I've been back to the park, so I have no idea if it's still even there.

#11 ·
skinny-tire said:
Does Tucson still have one? When I was a kid, there was a really cool BMX track at Reid (or Randolph) Park, right in the middle of to. If memory serves, they started at the top of a hill, and the course had with sloped turns, jumps, etc.

It's been 15-20 years since I've been back to the park, so I have no idea if it's still even there.
Yeah I looked and there is 2 bmx tracks in Tucson but they aren't 4X. Thanks for the heads up though!

#13 ·
ROrtiz10 said:
Yeah I looked and there is 2 bmx tracks in Tucson but they aren't 4X. Thanks for the heads up though!
Might be worth asking if they would be interested.

I never understood the "insurance" issue. I can think of at least two skateboard parks in Phx: on on the greenbelt, and the other in Tempe. As far as I know, they are run by the city, free to use, and I'm sure there is a disclaimer regarding injuries. I don't have proof, but I'd venture to say that the majority of the folks using those are minors. And yet they are still open.

#14 ·
disclaimers rarely hold up against sympathetic juries in injury lawsuits.

to truly protect yourself you'll want a signed waiver releasing the party of responsibility in the event the participant is injured or killed while engaging in a potentially risky activity.
and a waiver would have to be signed by a legal parent or guardian if the participant in a minor

#15 ·
skinny-tire said:

The reid park BMX track has been gone for as long as i can remember. I raced my first bmx bike there loL! That was alot of fun.

#16 ·
longhairmike said:
disclaimers rarely hold up against sympathetic juries in injury lawsuits.

to truly protect yourself you'll want a signed waiver releasing the party of responsibility in the event the participant is injured or killed while engaging in a potentially risky activity.
and a waiver would have to be signed by a legal parent or guardian if the participant in a minor
Great advice to the topic of disclamiers.

So with that said, how does these skate/bike parks seems to exsist with out having a state employed personel enforcing the disclaimer? Also I have been to the skate park on the green belt and don't recall that there was any posted sign of "skate at your own risk" nor was there a disclamier to the potential danger of using the park or proper use of protective equipment while using the facility.

Just curious to all the folks that mention the difficulty of producing a bike park of some sort. How is this different to any of the present skate/bike parks with all the potential death hazards and injuries be available and a bike park where 99% of user would be using alot more and better protection then if they would be using a skate park.

I'm Just saying'

#18 ·
doodooboi said:
Great advice to the topic of disclamiers.

So with that said, how does these skate/bike parks seems to exsist with out having a state employed personel enforcing the disclaimer? Also I have been to the skate park on the green belt and don't recall that there was any posted sign of "skate at your own risk" nor was there a disclamier to the potential danger of using the park or proper use of protective equipment while using the facility.

Just curious to all the folks that mention the difficulty of producing a bike park of some sort. How is this different to any of the present skate/bike parks with all the potential death hazards and injuries be available and a bike park where 99% of user would be using alot more and better protection then if they would be using a skate park.

I'm Just saying'
That was my questions. And throw in that I'd venture to say that most of the kids that go to these skate parks are minors, and therefore likely would not be allowed to sign a waiver or disclaimer anyway, without their parent's approval and co-signature. And yet, they are still open, and apparently run by the city.

#20 ·
damned if i know,, im not a lawyer,, i own a dollstore.
I just know if you go skydiving, bungeeing, rides in an experimental plane (maybe even ziplining), you'll be signing a legal waiver before they let you go up.

a skateboard wipeout and a 25mph bike crash are whole different degrees of hurt

#21 ·
longhairmike said:
I just know if you go skydiving, bungeeing, rides in an experimental plane (maybe even ziplining), you'll be signing a legal waiver before they let you go up.

The chances of getting killed riding a bike in a self-enclosed park, away from cars an other obstacales are slim to none.

#22 ·
longhairmike said:

Not arguing with ya here just pointing out some things that seems werid that's all. So take it easy.

Have you seen a skateboader wipeout on a very large portion of a skate park. I have seen these kids boost some stuff and get some ridiculous amount of air. Now I know it's not 25mph bike crash but I'd rather have that kind of crash with a full suit on and a full face then a free fall of two to three times my height on to hard concrete.

According to my knowledge, which you may google later, anyone falling at a distance 2-3 times higher than their height has a potential of major injury or even death.

Just for shnitz and giggles here is a quick comparision: speed is no longer part of the equation and now you are free falling to a surface stronger than bone, with just a half shell helemt on. Don't see that safer than crashing on a trail at 25mph with full protective gear on.

#23 ·
So how about we start a petition to get at least a (mountain) bike skills park paid for by the city? I would freakin' donate my own money to it and be part of fund raisers. ...AND BRING MY SHOVEL!!! There are tons of skate parks why can't they give us ONE bike skills park? Yeah we have tons of trails but this city is missing out on the other disciplines of mountain biking that I and I'm sure a lot of you crave. I don't have the pull as some of you long time locals have but do you guys think there is any chance we could do this? Other cities in the U.S. have done it why can't we all come together to get this done?

#26 ·
ROrtiz10 said:
So how about we start a petition to get at least a (mountain) bike skills park paid for by the city? I would freakin' donate my own money to it and be part of fund raisers. ...AND BRING MY SHOVEL!!! There are tons of skate parks why can't they give us ONE bike skills park? Yeah we have tons of trails but this city is missing out on the other disciplines of mountain biking that I and I'm sure a lot of you crave. I don't have the pull as some of you long time locals have but do you guys think there is any chance we could do this? Other cities in the U.S. have done it why can't we all come together to get this done?
A bike park already exsists... NRA. Why would we try to get something else started when we can work with what is already there??

Judging off the last ranger visit, it sounds like they are willing to work with us. I just wish I wasen't so flippin busy at work or else I would help drive this. Then again I would expect some of downhill shops or the MBAA to be the main supporters... but that will never happen :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.