Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
thebikedoctor33 said:
can sumone explain thru axles for me. can any wheel be used with a thru axle fork?
Simply put there are QR axles and solid axles. Usually a 20mm front thru axle and a 10 / 12mm solid rear axle. To use a 20mm set-up you need a 20mm hub and fork. The rear can use a solid axle depending on the dropout size.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
The front can use a solid axle as long as you get the right one for it. It's going to be a 9mm I believe. I think some have 10 but I'm not really sure..... If you do that it'll fit into any QR fork.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
The front can use a solid axle as long as you get the right one for it. It's going to be a 9mm I believe. I think some have 10 but I'm not really sure..... If you do that it'll fit into any QR fork.
just to clarify, a solid axle and thru axle isnt the same thing. A thru axle is removable from the hub and slides through the fork dropouts. A solid axle simple has bolts at both ends instead of a qr.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Good point, guess I just wasnt paying attention, lol.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Good point, guess I just wasnt paying attention, lol.
zedro did you have anything to do with taking off about 20 posts from me?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
zedro did you have anything to do with taking off about 20 posts from me?
i'm cleaning this mess known as the downhill board up. If a thread is deleted, any posts within that are gone with the associated post count.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Props to you for taking on such a burdening odyssey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts