Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do your DW link bikes cope with road work?

The reason I ask is that I am looking at a new bike and am very attracted to the DW link ( I am looking at the Ibis Mojo or a Mk3)

However I often have to push out 10 to 15 miles on the road to get too and from a ride and was wondering how a 5.5" travel bike will cope with this. I realise that tyre chioce can have a big bearing.

I currently ride a Santa Cruz Superlight and this is perfectly OK on roads but I feel it lacks a bit of travel off road. Or am I expecting too much from a bike? !!

Thanks

John

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Better than Superlight

JWB said:
How do your DW link bikes cope with road work?

The reason I ask is that I am looking at a new bike and am very attracted to the DW link ( I am looking at the Ibis Mojo or a Mk3)

However I often have to push out 10 to 15 miles on the road to get too and from a ride and was wondering how a 5.5" travel bike will cope with this. I realise that tyre chioce can have a big bearing.

I currently ride a Santa Cruz Superlight and this is perfectly OK on roads but I feel it lacks a bit of travel off road. Or am I expecting too much from a bike? !!

Thanks

John
I'm an ex-Superlight rider for 3 years. been on a Tracer the last 4 years and have a Mojo Carbon on order.

I've test ridden 3 DW link bikes, the Hollowpoint, MKiii, and Independent Fabrications. Every one pedaled on the road with less seated bob than the Superlight in the middle and big rings (the Superlight didn't pedal bob under me in the granny, nor does the DW link). There is a small amount of standing pedal bob with DW link, only hardtails bob less when standing and pedaling.

Also, the DW links have the best pedaling feel on rougher terrain of any bike of the dozens I've tested. And the braking is balanced better than nearly all others.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- ray

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
It does bob some...

...the question is, how does it compare to other FS bikes? I can't speak to that because my exposure to other bikes has been very limited. I can say that I was following G-funk, Speedub_Nate and Baycat, all on MkIIIs, up a moderately steep paved road (Lawndale Rd, for those of you who were there). I intentionally got behind them so I could check out the bob factor, since everyone swears these bikes don't bob. Well, 2 of the 3 bikes were bobbing with the riders seated. Not much, but it was visually perceptible. So I asked the guys to stand and hammer, and guess what, they bobbed plenty, except for G-funk, who centered his weight vertically over the bars. I felt vindicated, because I've mentioned on these forums that the MkIII bobs when I stand, and a bunch of guys will pile on saying no way, it doesn't happen.

Okay, so it bobs a bit. Big deal. It works great and I love it. But if you want a bike to stand and hammer on the road, you might be disappointed. I've got a 29er hardtail that works great as an on/off road bike. No, you can't have it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
When I went on holiday last year I was unable to take my mtb and road bike as normal so I took along my MKIII with a set of 1.5" slicks. I added 20psi or so to the SPV chamber and main chamber of the 5th shock and it performed great, I did allsorts of road work, nothing epic but 20-30 mile rides in pretty hilly terrain (I was on the edge of the French Alps), it also handled a 60mph road descent off of Mont Ventoux admirably, I was thankful for a bit of cush when hitting potholes at that speed!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
My HP does bob a little on the road especially under high cadence spin. When standing it bobs more.

But it is a different kind of bob than compared to my first FS (Salsa Cabellero)

With the cab, the bob was noticeable and it felt like it was robbing me of energy and bobbing at the exact wrong time in the pedal stroke.

With the DW-link the bob is only noticeable when I stare down and look at it. When riding normally I can't feel it, even though it is moving a little. Out of the saddle is different though, it is noticeable and does feel energy robbing, though a lot of that is dictated by my poor out of the saddle technique.

Interestingly, when I hit dirt, especially a climb the rear end seems to noticeably firm up. And it then proceeds to climb like a billy goat.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It all sounds good to me. Obviously I do not expect hardtail performance but it cetainly sounds like I will be able to do road miles without using up loads of energy.

I have a lock out on the rear of my Superlight which obviously helps, but the main movement I notice is a side to side movement of the swing arm and seat post.

Thanks for your replies,

John

PS I once spent 2 weeks in the Alps and just had to do the Alp Duez road climb......64 minutes on the Superlight.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My MK3 rides great on the road. That is what I mainly use my MK3 for.
I used to ride Kona Dawg with Manitou Swinger Air 4-way with SPV set firm, but MK3 is so much better for pedaling. No doubt about it. You just have to get a front fork that let you lock or adjust the pedaling resistance like Pike 454 Dual Air. I chnaged mine to Nixon Platium Intrinsic because I love to feel the suspension suck bumps yet not that bad for pedaling. When I had my Pike 454 Dual Air and locked it the whole bike feels like rigid bike especially you make the air pressure of the rearshock over 120psi and up.

Aslo, having the right tires help, too. I use Nokian XXX for street riding with Mavic UST rims. These are great combination for doing some action ride on streets. The tire rolls fast yet very grippy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.