Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Slick Rick
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about 6'2, ride a 19" hard-tail.

Would a 18" Slayer fit? How's the stand-over compared to other bikes?

I'd imagine it's pretty close in sizing. It's an SXC 70

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm 5' 9" and ride an 18" SXC70 (90mm stem). I tried the 16.5", it was better in terms of standover but the TT length was too short for my liking.
You might find that the TT on the 18" is too short for you.

Some of the guys on here about your size ride 19"s. I'm sure some will chime in.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My buddy is 6'2 hes rocking a 21.5 and loves it. im 5'8 i originally had a 16.5'' and found it was a bit too small. I now ride an 18'' the standover for me is too tall but the bike feels right when riding. Id recommend riding the bike first if you cant id go with the 21.5.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
I'm 6'-1" with a 33" inseam and a 19" SXC is pretty comfy, but if I was any longer in the torso or arms, a 19" would start to feel short. Your position on the bike is very much like a tall XC bike, not a really laid back freeride sort of geometry.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That was my problem the reach was too tight on the 16.5 i like the bike so much i bough another in the right size :thumbsup: love it!

·
Slick Rick
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just that there is a local one for sale, good price, barely used.

It's an 18" frame though, I wouldn't second guess if it was a 19"

The 18" TT length is 591mm and I'm riding a bike with a 587mm TT, so doesn't really seem that much shorter.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think you would find the cockpit would be waaay too cramped the effective top tube lenth is roughly an inch longer going 18'' - 21.5'' but to get the right seat height it would bring you up so high on the 18 overall rech or cockpit size would be excessive.

I could be wrong ive had a couple brew's so pardon me if it sounds off.:thumbsup: cheers

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Something to keep in mind with the SXC is the HTT is measured to the virtual seat tube centre (in red) not the actual seat tube location. Because the seat tube is angled more sharply the cockpit length will change very quickly as you raise the post.

Attachments

·
Slick Rick
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rockyuphill said:
Something to keep in mind with the SXC is the HTT is measured to the virtual seat tube centre (in red) not the actual seat tube location. Because the seat tube is angled more sharply the cockpit length will change very quickly as you raise the post.
So what you are telling me, as a sxc rider, is that the 19" is a more suitable size?

Speaking of which then, know where I can get a good deal on one? haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts