Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I have a set of old wheels, and I just started too get back into mountain biking. I have been kind of tempted to get a new set of wheels, but the more I think about it the more I think it is a waste of money.

I use to be a mechanic at a shop and build my own wheels. I just recently went to a rear disc, so I used my old wheel and built it up on a hub that can use a disc.

Here is what I am running

Front-Mavic 217 hoop
DT Swiss hugi Elite/Hayes front disc hub like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Hayes-DT-Swiss-...Cycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3efaa630f8

Rear-mavic 217
REAL rear hub (old school, but new stock)

The hoops seem really strong, my bro went from the 217 to the 317 disc and says the 317 disc don't seem as strong. It looks like Mavic started to change the way they use certain nomenclature on the wheels, basically the higher the number the better or stronger? I don't think it was always that way. These are welded, machined and use eyelets and at the time were some of the higher end wheels. I know they probably aren't as "cool" as some of the newer disc specific hoops, but I haven't bent them and they seem pretty light.

At the time, the DT Swiss Hugi Elite/Hayes hubs were the ONLY high end hubs out there, so that is what I got for the front. later I found a sweet deal on a REAL brand rear hub and built it up. doing a search there was a version that had some complaints that I think Cambria was clearing some out and they came dry (old, very little grease) and some had some freehub body slop (that was an easy fix). I put a little extra grease in mine and I don't seem to have the slop in the freehub either. I just built this rear wheel and seems to be great so far. (also supposedly, if there is a problem with the bearings, you can slip Phil Wood bearings in there, no problem).

I am using Evolution or Revo spokes (I cant remember exactly) and Alloy nipples. My rims and hubs are silver so they are fairly boring looking compared to much of what is out there. (at least I do have colored nipples though).

Wheels are for XC/AM use.

Sorry for the long post, just wonder if I could get some opinions. Right now I am just leaning towards keeping them and being happy with what I got.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I wouldn't take the time or money to switch from 217 to 317 for XC riding. They're very similar in size, weight and purpose. I doubt the strength is going to be much different either. For XC riding, ride what you got 'til they give it up.

If you are really getting aggressive, pounding rocks and jumping stuff, then I would think about going to 321/521/721 series for strength and to run larger tires.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jeffj said:
I wouldn't take the time or money to switch from 217 to 317 for XC riding. They're very similar in size, weight and purpose. I doubt the strength is going to be much different either. For XC riding, ride what you got 'til they give it up.

If you are really getting aggressive, pounding rocks and jumping stuff, then I would think about going to 321/521/721 series for strength and to run larger tires.
Ya, I think it would be a waste of money. I actually really like that my wheels stay pretty straight and are pretty dang light. They just dont have the "bling" factor that a lot of wheels have these days.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
rodH said:
OK, I have a set of old wheels, and I just started too get back into mountain biking. I have been kind of tempted to get a new set of wheels, but the more I think about it the more I think it is a waste of money.

I use to be a mechanic at a shop and build my own wheels. I just recently went to a rear disc, so I used my old wheel and built it up on a hub that can use a disc.

Here is what I am running

Front-Mavic 217 hoop
DT Swiss hugi Elite/Hayes front disc hub like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Hayes-DT-Swiss-...Cycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3efaa630f8

Rear-mavic 217
REAL rear hub (old school, but new stock)

The hoops seem really strong, my bro went from the 217 to the 317 disc and says the 317 disc don't seem as strong. It looks like Mavic started to change the way they use certain nomenclature on the wheels, basically the higher the number the better or stronger? I don't think it was always that way. These are welded, machined and use eyelets and at the time were some of the higher end wheels. I know they probably aren't as "cool" as some of the newer disc specific hoops, but I haven't bent them and they seem pretty light.

At the time, the DT Swiss Hugi Elite/Hayes hubs were the ONLY high end hubs out there, so that is what I got for the front. later I found a sweet deal on a REAL brand rear hub and built it up. doing a search there was a version that had some complaints that I think Cambria was clearing some out and they came dry (old, very little grease) and some had some freehub body slop (that was an easy fix). I put a little extra grease in mine and I don't seem to have the slop in the freehub either. I just built this rear wheel and seems to be great so far. (also supposedly, if there is a problem with the bearings, you can slip Phil Wood bearings in there, no problem).

I am using Evolution or Revo spokes (I cant remember exactly) and Alloy nipples. My rims and hubs are silver so they are fairly boring looking compared to much of what is out there. (at least I do have colored nipples though).

Wheels are for XC/AM use.

Sorry for the long post, just wonder if I could get some opinions. Right now I am just leaning towards keeping them and being happy with what I got.
The 217 used to be THE rim to have, I loved mine back in the day. The old 317 was a great disc rim, however the current 317 has been relegated to pinned (not welded like the 217) so no...it probably is not as strong. The current equivalent to the old 217, is the 517 while the top XC rims both rim and disc are the 717 line which are Maxtal and welded.

I'd just roll with what you got...when its time to replace the 217's, you can look at the newer disc specific rims then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.