Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanna go the AM route but also shed weight on my bike. Please help..
I own an Ibis Mojo (SX build). Please see specs at the bottom.

The whole bike weighs roughly 29 pounds (I just used the bathroom scale method). When I rode it for the first time, it felt so light because I was coming from a heavy steel bike (40 lbs). I didnt want to weigh it because knowing the actual weight will mess with my brain. So now that I know the weight, I'm starting to turn to a weight weenie.:madman: I want to shed some weight on my bike..But at the same time I want to upgrade some of the parts so I can step up to riding AM instead of "smooth" XC trails that I've been riding for the longest time already.
Here are the following upgrades that I want to do:
1) Change my tires to 2.3 and possibly convert them to tubeless
2) Change my wheelset to an AM-capable set but should be lighter than the CrossRides

3) Change my stem to 70mm
4) Change my seatpost to straight (no setback) and saw off any length in excess of 300mm
5) Additional changes to shed weight - I'm open for suggestions

My questions:
1. What wheelset (or custom built wheels) and 2.3 tires should I get so that I can ride AM but keep the weight on the wheels and tires lower than my current setup?
2. How will changing the stem and post affect ergonomics, handling and efficiency?
3. Where else can I shed weight? (Without changing the drivetrain and brakeset and without going clipless on the pedals)

Thanks so much!:thumbsup: Oh, I forgot, my budget for the upgrades is only $500.

FRAME: Mojo Carbon Medium
SHOCK: '07 Fox RP23
FORK: '08 Fox TALAS RLC
CRANKSET: '08 Shimano XT
CASSETTE: Shimano CN-H693
FD: '08 Shimano XT down swing/top pull
RD: '08 Shimano XT Shadow long cage
SHIFTERS: Shimano XT Rapidfire
BRAKESET: '08 Shimano XT Servowave
ROTORS: '08 Shimano XT CenterLock 7"front/6"rear
WHEELSET: Mavic CrossRide disc
TIRES: Kenda Nevegal 2.1 DTC folding
TUBES: Kenda 26x1.95 presta
STEM: Thomson Elite X4 100mm 31.8
SEATPOST: Thomson Elite 16mmSetback 31.6
BARS: Truvative Hussefelt DH 2"rise 27"wide
SADDLE: WTB (OE with steel rails)
GRIPS: Oury slip-on
PEDALS: generic platform
RIDER: 5'8" Height, 140lbs Weight (naked), 160lbs Weight (with gear and hydra pack)

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
So you're after heavier duty stuff that weighs less for $500? Cheap, light or strong, pick any two.

Not quite enough money to buy a set of $700 Easton Havoc's or Crossmax SX to get a wide AM wheelset that weighs the same as the Crossrides (1920gms). You'll be hard pressed to find a $500 wheelset with 21mm wide rims that weighs less than 1900gms. DT Swiss EX1750 are $900/pr for 1750 gms.

Not many durable AM tires will weigh less than the Nevegal 2.1.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Your bike looks really light, but if it were my bike:
Easton Carbon Monkeylite bars (you can get 07 model from pricepoint or from Wheelworld pretty cheap - $100).
Trade or Sell the TALAS for a Float (you might make money on that one).
Same WTB (if you like it) but the race version with Ti, etc. $100 or so

Instead of getting rid of the setback seatpost, just go with a shorter stem. You could sell the stem for $50 if it's in nice shape and get another for $80 or $90 so you are up to 275-300.

Mountain King 2.4 UST or other large lightweight tire + Stans Kit. The tires are $100 shipped from Universal (do a price match and they will do $42.10 each). I don't know the price on Stans but I'll guess $75? So that's $175 plus the 275-300 above is just below your $500.

You'll be more all mountain and, I think, possibly lighter.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I almost forgot - if you are going all mtn you could take your big ring to a belt sander and sand off the outer teeth and turn that into just a chain keeper then use the end point adjustment on the front der. to keep from shifting on to it.

·
monster member
1,083 Posts
I think you're making too big a deal out of "all mountain". Just get some heavier, downhill tires, some shinguards, and do it. 29lbs isn't bad at all for an AM bike. Just focus on being smooth and landing smooth. A big part about not breaking parts is learning to land and not hammer the poor bike. You're only 160 lbs full-gear so you should be able to do 4-foot drops all day on that bike once you learn to land nicely.

·
meow, meow.
2,498 Posts
My 2 cents are to avoid factory wheelsets and go clipless anyway. :)
Then look at 31.8 carbon flatbars and a saddle like Selle Italia SLR. If you find yourself missing the height of the riser bar, you can put some spacers under the stem, if your fork steerer tube allows that (on the photo it looks like you have some length reserved, 10 mm or so). As for the stem itself, well, that depends on how long your arms are. I would swap for a 70mm Thomson Elite X4, but I have relatively short arms.

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
Hmmm, not sure how accurate the bathroom scale is, I think your bike is a bit lighter then that. $500 isn't much to play with. Your wheelset is pretty heavy, but wheelsets cost money, on the cheap get lighter grips, sram attack gripshifts, lighter pedals (the new looks, EB's, etc), Alligator serrated rotors, go tubeless (ala Stans type method), etc. Not sure why you want platform pedals? A bit odd on a Mojo. :eek:

You are kind of going in a strange direction. :confused: The Mojo is a great XC/AM machine, a bit more towards XC, but it is pretty capable. You are light like me and can get away with a bit lighter part selection. I just got back from some heavy hammering in Fruita Colorado and my Mojo did just fine. I tore a sidewall but that was because the tires sidewalls were to wimpy, I am going back to my Schwalbe Alberts for the back tire again.

Here is my current Mojo build:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts