Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
:\ ping of death
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of waiting for my new fork to come in so I want to prep ahead of time. I removed the star-nut cover and the stem. I see the star-nut inside but Im not sure what to do next. Do I loosen the headset? Bang the the top of steerer tube? Take it to LBS?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Whack it out with a rubber/plastic mallet. The only thing holding it in at this point is the headset.
phoeneous said:
Im in the process of waiting for my new fork to come in so I want to prep ahead of time. I removed the star-nut cover and the stem. I see the star-nut inside but Im not sure what to do next. Do I loosen the headset? Bang the the top of steerer tube? Take it to LBS?

·
born again
652 Posts
phoeneous said:
Do I smack the top of the steerer tube or try to remove the bottom race first?
Put a piece of wood on top of the steerer tube (or use a rubber mallet) to protect it then knock the fork out of the headset with a hammer. I should just drop off. The lower bearing race may come off with the fork, no biggie just make sure it gets put back with the same orientation. There will also be a split ring at the top of the headset which will need to be removed and put on the new fork along with the crown race which is easily knocked off the old fork with a old screwdriver or punch and a hammer. Technically I believe the split in the split ring should be at 3 or 9 o'clock and not 6 or 12 o'clock (or in line with the wheels/frame).

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was pretty easy, all it took was one smack with the mallet. The bottom race seal and some type of ring with bearing balls came off too, Im assuming this is normal? I need to get new batteries for my digicam so I can take some shots. Hopefully I did it right. :confused:

·
born again
652 Posts
phoeneous said:
Here are the pics I took of the rings I was talking about. Is it normal for these two come off with the fork?
Yes. The first two pics show the lower bearing race and the headset seal and the third pic shows the upper bearing inside the upper headset cup and the upper headset seal and the split ring. Just make sure these go back together exactly the same way they came apart when you put on the new fork. It would be a good idea to grease the bearings too before you put it back together.

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gearz said:
Yes. The first two pics show the lower bearing race and the headset seal and the third pic shows the upper bearing inside the upper headset cup and the upper headset seal and the split ring. Just make sure these go back together exactly the same way they came apart when you put on the new fork. It would be a good idea to grease the bearings too before you put it back together.
Can I clean them off first because they are kind of gritty? What type of lube/grease should I use after cleaning them?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.