Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Probably a dumb @$$ question but I've just removed my crank set with the "Puller" tool and it was very hard to do i.e. it was very tight on.

When I replace them, how do I get them back on nice and tightly please?

Fanx

Fraz

·
Doctor
264 Posts
Fraz said:
Hi. Probably a dumb @$$ question but I've just removed my crank set with the "Puller" tool and it was very hard to do i.e. it was very tight on.

When I replace them, how do I get them back on nice and tightly please?

Fanx

Fraz
I presume this is a square-taper bottom bracket? I'm still using those on our "road" bikes. I put a bit of grease on the tapers, then slide and bolt the arms on. On the drive side, you can overdo the torque on this, esp. on older cranksets (when the cranks have been removed numerous times), so you just want it tight enough so there's no creaking when you pedal hardest. If you overdo it, you may get your innermost ring too close to the frame. How tight? I use a Park wrench that is about 7" long. I tighten until it starts to leave a "dent" in my palm. ..not very tight. There is no "end point" since the BB is tapered.
On the non-drive, use about the same torque, but it matters less regarding clearance.

If this is an Octalink, etc., just use the OEM torque specs.

..I hope this is not a dumb @$$ answer :)

jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.