Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my 7point5 apart today because i got a new spring and it just needed a good cleaning. while it was apart i was just playing around moving the rear end to see how all the parts work.
i measured the vertical travel of the rear axle and it only moved 5" :confused:
am i missing something? isn't it supposed to have 7" travel?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
You didn't read the fine print, did you? It says "Seven **metric** inches"!!!

No, fer real, you did it correctly. The axle path is not perfectly straight, but it's also not curved enough to lose two inches. Check that you're not including any bumpers on the shock shaft and that you're exercising the system the full 2.75", as measured between the shock mounting points.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speedub.Nate said:
You didn't read the fine print, did you? It says "Seven **metric** inches"!!!

No, fer real, you did it correctly. The axle path is not perfectly straight, but it's also not curved enough to lose two inches. Check that you're not including any bumpers on the shock shaft and that you're exercising the system the full 2.75", as measured between the shock mounting points.
i'm retarded.
i forgot about the bumper in the shock. it's about .75" so what's that...about 1.9" on the axle

thanks nate

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
schizzle_dizzle said:
i'm retarded.
i forgot about the bumper in the shock. it's about .75" so what's that...about 1.9" on the axle

thanks nate
I'm heading over to DW's place with a 44-magnum and a shovel. we paid for 7 inches of travel, and 6.9" ain't gonna cut it. :p

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Im already hiding.

Its going to be pretty hard to measure, but the 7POINT has seven inches of vertical travel. The rear suspension is held to some tight tolerances, so don't expect it to be any different. Hardest part for you will be finding the true vertical. Its a lot easier to just take iron Horse's word and just go out riding instead! :D

Dave

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
_dw said:
Im already hiding.
hmmmmm, what are those black helicoptors doing following me around? and those Ford SUVs with black tinted windows... hey, if you're going to send someone after me, can you request Jennifer Garner? :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
_dw said:
Im already hiding.

Its going to be pretty hard to measure, but the 7POINT has seven inches of vertical travel. The rear suspension is held to some tight tolerances, so don't expect it to be any different. Hardest part for you will be finding the true vertical. Its a lot easier to just take iron Horse's word and just go out riding instead! :D

Dave
yeah, like i said, i just had the bike apart and was moving the suspension around. it just cought my attention when it looked like alot less than 7". then when nate pointed out about the bumper on the shock...that was good enough for me.

thanks for the replies though.

·
Crawlin' like a Crawfish!
178 Posts
Don't you know

Never question authority! ;)
If you don't believe it, I'm sending Cartman to your house. "Respect my authority!"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.