Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I think we should go back
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not quiet sure how to lower the handle bars and maybe even bring them in closer to the seat if that even is possible. height:5' weight:90 lbs. If that helps. I currently like the fit of this bike with the seat stem sticking out about 2-3 inches because I fell if I am lower on the bike I have more control when doing jumps and such because of the lower center of gravity. Just got the bike and I moved the reflector up on the seat post so i can lower the seat even more. the spring on rear shock is all the way loose but not so loose it is not held in place. i like the feeling of the shocks for now and I will keep them as they are. The suspension is not as firm as i thought it would be. I want to bring the handle bars in about 2-3 inches (telling me how to do that would be nice...) and lower them 1inch all the spacers exept for one are on the top of the stem.

Hope you can help, thanks

·
Registered
926 Posts
To lower you'll need to remove the cap screw on the top of the steer tube, Than loosen the two to cap screws on the rear of the stem. Once you do that you will be able to slide the bars and stem off the steer tube.Now I'm assuming under the stem you have a couple spacer?? Normally you will have 3 total , two large and one small. Simply slide one spacer off , slide the stem/bars back on followed by the spacer you just removed. Than line up your bars and front tire and snug, not tighten the two stem screws. Than place the steer tube cap back on and snug it up.Be sure not to over tighten this as you can damage the headset bearings.Just make sure there's no no play up and down. Now you can tighten the head set screws up nice and snug. As for moving the bars back, if you have raised bars you can loosen up the from stem screws and rotate the bars so that the begin to lean back. You won't get much here so if this does not work you'll simply need to buy a shorter stem.Which is really what you should do.

You may want to move your saddle forward a bit as well to help shorten your reach.

Hope that helps.

·
SoCal Rider
266 Posts
Yup, definitely buy a shorter stem. I went from a 100mm to an 80mm and fits like a glove. You can also flip the stem so it'll give you a negative degree angle and will lower the handlebars about an inch (if that's what you want)

The saddle can be moved forward by loosening the bolt(s) underneath and sliding it to what position you like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.