Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all.

I have a Haro V1 series mtb. Front suspension. I noticed there are "plastic/ rubber-like" caps on the top of each side of the fork.I am wondering if I can lockout my suspension by like taking the caps off, or turning them, or buying a little lockout thingy which goes on the top of one side of the fork.

I want to lock the fork because I'm gonna use the mtb as a touring bike because I can't afford a touring bike =(

Sorry, Im not very familiar with mtb talk !! I hope y'all understand what I mean.
THANKS!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If you only use it as a touring bike getting a rigid fork isn't a bad idea. Not all forks lock out. Sometimes they have little plastic caps that are just that...caps. If it turns it will probably say on it somewhere lockout or preload. Take a closer look and see if it turns. If it turns.....turn it and see what it does. That or take a close up picture of the tops

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
I agree with hankscorpio.

There are different types of forks. Those on bikes from Kmart that have caps for looks (no preload adjust or anything). There are those where there is preload adjustment on one side, and there are forks with preload adjustment on both sides (I have a bike like that). The lockout forks have either big knobs on one side, or a button on the handlebar.
For you, there is no lockout on your fork, so the best thing to do is just buy a cheap rigid fork.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
the both caps have a knob on them with a + and a - symbol, those are just preload knobs. they can firm up the suspension but they will not lock it out. I doubt it is possible to buy a new damper for that fork that has a lockout option. the parts from other forks are not that readily transferable. since it's a cheap fork, very people have ever bothered. it would probably be much cheaper and easier to just replace it with a steel rigid fork, if that's what you're after. just find a fork with a similar axle-to-crown (A-C) measurement.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If you don't need the suspension action, wrap some tape around the fork get some clamps and lock it.

·
Positively negative
2,287 Posts
Like Mack mentioned adding a lockout is more complex then adding a switch to the fork. You would need to swap out the compression damper. Given the quality level of your fork I doubt that will be an option. It may also be cost prohibitive.

For touring a ridgid for may be a good investment. Surly Troll forks are a nice choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts