Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Specialized Stumpjumper M4 comp with original brake pads on Avid Speed Dial 5 brakes. My schedule allows me an average of 1 ride a week and I average 15-20 miles per ride. The trails are fairly technical, so there is a lot of braking finesse involved. I check the pads regularly and they appear to be fine. No grooves wore into them. I do rough them up with coarse sandpaper to minimize build up now and again. I would think after 4 years there should be some signs of wear, but I can't detect anything. What signs should I be looking for? BTW, they work just fine.
Thanks in advance all,
PC1

·
Registered
215 Posts
You'll know it when it's time to replace them. I have a riding buddy who is almost down to the metal on his :rolleyes: . Some people will turn the pads around when the leading edge starts to wear down to get more life from them. If they are stopping you and your rims are in good shape, then there is nothing to worry about.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.