Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Give'r or go home!!
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know that this is a bit of an expansive question, but I would appreciate it if you would give it a shot. I have a new Xl heckler with the updated 5th coil over shock. I had my first real ride on dirt today and the shock is not quite what I was expecting. This is my first Full Sus though so I really don't have much to compare to. I'm around 205 lbs with gear and have the standard 350 lbs spring. I have 8mm of preload on the spring, 130 lbs of air, beginning and ending stroke damping to minimum, rebound set at a comfortable speed, and the Air volume set as per the quick setup instructions. It feels good off a small jump, but still kind of harsh on roots. I may be expecting a miracle though and not what any shock can promise. On the plus though, I can not notice any feedback when peddling. Even climbing in the granny.

Any thoughts on what a propper setup should feel like. Once again, I know that it is personal choice, but what kind of results are people getting for small bumps like roots, etc. Is there a way to tune it to compress faster for hitting smaller sharper bumps at speed. I'll be working away at getting it setup so any tips are appreciated.

Thanks - Giver'

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,196 Posts
giverpig said:
Ok, I know that this is a bit of an expansive question, but I would appreciate it if you would give it a shot. I have a new Xl heckler with the updated 5th coil over shock. I had my first real ride on dirt today and the shock is not quite what I was expecting. This is my first Full Sus though so I really don't have much to compare to. I'm around 205 lbs with gear and have the standard 350 lbs spring. I have 8mm of preload on the spring, 130 lbs of air, beginning and ending stroke damping to minimum, rebound set at a comfortable speed, and the Air volume set as per the quick setup instructions. It feels good off a small jump, but still kind of harsh on roots. I may be expecting a miracle though and not what any shock can promise. On the plus though, I can not notice any feedback when peddling. Even climbing in the granny.

Any thoughts on what a propper setup should feel like. Once again, I know that it is personal choice, but what kind of results are people getting for small bumps like roots, etc. Is there a way to tune it to compress faster for hitting smaller sharper bumps at speed. I'll be working away at getting it setup so any tips are appreciated.

Thanks - Giver'
Two things you could try: First is running the rebound quicker. I find that if I don't run the rebound as fast as possible that it packs up in rough sections. I still wish it would go even faster. The other is try increasing the volume in the chamber.

You may even try increasing the compression dampening a little. It seems counter intuitive, but in some cases the ride can be harsher with too little compression dampening.

Kapusta

·
Australien
285 Posts
That's a really good question.

I'm still experimenting too (after 5 months!), and it feels great of the big hits, but not so great on the smaller hits/bumps. Rather than give numbers, the best I've gotten is to back the pressure way out, so the shock is firstly more supple. Then I lower the volume adjuster to prevent bottoming. Beginning stroke is open, end stroke is about half. Rebound is whatever.

I still haven't got it right. It's too firm on the small stuff (up to 1-2 inches), and when it does compress, it stays compressed too long (and it doesn't seem to be a function of rebound as far as I can tell). Gotta keep going with it. I wonder if the 300# coil might be better (I'm 180lb, 350 coil, running about 3mm preload)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wanna trade 2.25" stroke springs?

Hey - I'm facing the exact same set of problems. I initially went with a heavy spring to ensure I wouldn't bottom out as I constantly did with my 5th Air but I think I overdid it. I weigh a lot less - 145 lbs and I run a 300 lb/in. spring. I think it's still too stiff for my weight.

Is anybody willing to trade or buy steel springs? I need a 2.25" stroke x 275 lb/in. spring. I have a 2.25" stroke x 300 lb/in. and a 2.25" stroke x 400 lb/in for sale or trade. They're both in excellent condition.

I went the opposite direction as you guys and felt improvements. I dialed the air chamber all the way out (most linear) and reduced the IFP pressure to 85 - 90 psi instead of 100 psi. Even 5 psi makes a noticeable difference in small bump sensitivity. My suspension is a lot better now, but maybe my results are due to the fact that my spring is too heavy. I never bottomed out my rear shock but I don't freeride my Heckler. I leave that stuff for my Big Hit. The Big Hit made me realize my Heckler's rear suspension is way too stiff.

Dave.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.