Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanna upgrade my wheels and hubs for the summer, and i have my eyes on the Spank Tweet rims and the Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs.

But then when i got to the bussiness of buying spokes i knew i had missed something.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
You need the ERD of the rim, then search for a spoke length calculator that lets you enter that (or if your rim is listed use that) and enter the hope hubs, it should spit out the numbers for you.

Stu

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thx, but is the lacing pattern optional? All the different types works, just that some are stronger and some are lighter?

If yes, does the rim get stiffer or stronger with more crossings?

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
three cross is standard and strong, if this is your first build go with three cross.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
I would also recommend reading Art of Wheelbuilding - Schraner

That's how I learnt. I also like bladed spokes, as they are easier to build (you can see and correct twist much easier) with and look cool too :)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Just be careful with the spoke calculators. They are usually correct, but in the instance of my Hope Pro2 Evo and DT Swiss FR600 wheels, they were not. I entered everything correctly into multiple calculators (including the Prowheelbuilder calc as well as DT's own), and they both spit out the same numbers. I bought everything and went to work. spoke length was about 2mm too long. The spokes all bottomed out in the nipples and there was zero tension on the spokes. That was an expensive mistake to correct, as I found out that shops don't really like to take back spokes. So do some google work to see if others have had any issues with your particular rim and hub choice, just to be sure.

Good choice on the hubs, btw. I absolutely love my Hopes. Yeah there are others with higher engagement, but i never find myself needing more. These are plenty fast, bombproof, light, and they sound so dang good.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I would also recommend reading Art of Wheelbuilding - Schraner

That's how I learnt. I also like bladed spokes, as they are easier to build (you can see and correct twist much easier) with and look cool too :)
Yep, I can vouch for "Art of Wheelbuilding" as well. Very detailed book. Definitely worth a read.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Most accurate way would be to measure rim ERD and hub dimensions yourself and then order spokes. Wheelpro.com has a very accurate spoke length calculator and uses the method described in his E-Book.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts