Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
What It Be ?
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Down here in Hattiesburg, Mississippi we don't really have any mountain biking trails to speak of. I sent a message to the park people about restoring some trails in a local park. Other than that and starting a club what can I do. Anyone who can share some experiences would really help.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Talk is cheap

Around my area, a lot of folks hang out at the trail head for a while after riding and most are talking bike stuff. I've recruited a few workers by talking up the latest trail project. I'm not the most out going person, but stick a beer in my hand after a ride, and I can keep my jaw moving for a while. I suspect that having enthusiasm for the project counts for as much as a deep knowledge of trail building.

If they are friendly, hang out at the local bike shop and let them know what you are up to. Sometimes they will let you hang a poster with work dates or the like. Usually they are too busy to offer labor, so my advice is not to press them for time committments. Sometimes, depending on the shop's financial health, they can contribute closed out stuff you can give away as swag. Having some kind of give-away at work days makes everyone happy. Buy donuts out of your own pocket if the project is important to you.

Make everyone sign in for work days and have a slot for phone contact (a must in case of an injury) and an email address. Now you have a mail list for sending out future work date information.

Be realistic about how much labor you are going to get. Plan your project around having no more than 5% of the riders in your area contributing labor. 90% of the work is going to be done by you and 2 or 3 other people especially later in the project. If you can't handle this with a smile, don't start.

Good luck!
Walt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.