Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
i should be working
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got an 04 JrT and this past weekend while riding it it spiked on me and now i'm scared to death of taking it fast.

it happened on a fast section where the terrain wasnt really even that rough. it felt like i hit a cement block.

how do i get rid of it, or tune it to reduce spiking. i put in 10wt before the ride to make it less springy. my understanding is that it has SSV dampers (both sides) that aren't very adjustable aside from changing oil.

i caught a thread about some people drilling out another hole some place in the internals to aid the damping. anybody have any experience with this? did it help? do i just have to buy a HSCV (?) cartridge to get rid of some spiking? thanks. -ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Get the HSCV carts....or buy the Stance Kingpin.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,004 Posts
This should fix it....

rpl3000 said:
i got an 04 JrT and this past weekend while riding it it spiked on me and now i'm scared to death of taking it fast.

it happened on a fast section where the terrain wasnt really even that rough. it felt like i hit a cement block.

how do i get rid of it, or tune it to reduce spiking. i put in 10wt before the ride to make it less springy. my understanding is that it has SSV dampers (both sides) that aren't very adjustable aside from changing oil.

i caught a thread about some people drilling out another hole some place in the internals to aid the damping. anybody have any experience with this? did it help? do i just have to buy a HSCV (?) cartridge to get rid of some spiking? thanks. -ron
Get one of these. That's what I did to fix my Jr T, and now it doesn't spike anymore hanging on the wall in my garage. That will teach it.
 

Attachments

·
I need more time
Joined
·
157 Posts
hey

what is spiking. what happens if a fork spikes??

the fork you have in the pic looks really cool. Is that erm what do you call it. A double crown. From what i understand a single crown is what is on my RS judys where there is just one bar linking the stanchions where as your fork would have two. And can you get a tripple crown if what i am even describing is a crown.

Just thot id ask these cause i've been confused about this recently. Sorry if i seem to be hijacking your thread and thnaks in advance for any answers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
spiking is like an instantaneous hydraulic lock of the dampers, making high speed hits very harsh; basically the fork isnt absorbing the bumps in a smooth and controlled fashion.

there are various little tricks to modding the SSV dampers, however the effect is limited and in my experience unpredictable (i did a little write-up of the mods i did...basically alot of tinkering with only semi-successful results...and even successful results still wont equal an HSCV damper...http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=37610&highlight=mods+series).

if you want performance, get the HSCV dampers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
rpl3000 said:
i got an 04 JrT and this past weekend while riding it it spiked on me and now i'm scared to death of taking it fast.

it happened on a fast section where the terrain wasnt really even that rough. it felt like i hit a cement block.

how do i get rid of it, or tune it to reduce spiking. i put in 10wt before the ride to make it less springy. my understanding is that it has SSV dampers (both sides) that aren't very adjustable aside from changing oil.

i caught a thread about some people drilling out another hole some place in the internals to aid the damping. anybody have any experience with this? did it help? do i just have to buy a HSCV (?) cartridge to get rid of some spiking? thanks. -ron
I had the same problem on my 04 JnrT. I fixed mine with a credit card. I purchased a 888r and now I dont have the problem. Seriously though...I heard you can get the cartridges for about $150 per leg, + install fees, which would do the trick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,116 Posts
One HSCV damper should do the trick. They downgraded the '04 SuperT from 2 HSCVdampers to 1 HSCV in one leg and 1 SSV in the other, and it seems like it still feels like the '03 (with 2 HSCV cartridges). It's not too painful on the pocketbook, and will work wonders better than any mod on your JrT (no personal experience, but have heard many disappointing stories regarding the JrT mod)
 

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
Joined
·
8,821 Posts
Shibby said:
One HSCV damper should do the trick. They downgraded the '04 SuperT from 2 HSCVdampers to 1 HSCV in one leg and 1 SSV in the other, and it seems like it still feels like the '03 (with 2 HSCV cartridges).
Word. My wife approved the purchase of 1 HSCV cartridge and it has transformed the jrT to a thing of beauty instead of a thing of pain. No more spiking, no more stunners. It now feels like my Z1. $150 from my LBS. Do it.
If you take Zedro's advice and buy an 888, you'll have $1k in credit card debt..but at least you'll be able to run a 2.8" tire. Yippee....
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,006 Posts
Zedro never recommends 888, Zedro says Zedro like Shivers. In Shiver we trust
 

·
What's this for anyway???
Joined
·
145 Posts
kelesis said:
Is that erm what do you call it. A double crown. From what i understand a single crown is what is on my RS judys where there is just one bar linking the stanchions where as your fork would have two. And can you get a tripple crown if what i am even describing is a crown.
The Monster T is a dual crown or double crown. You cannot get a triple crown as you would not be able to have a continuous head tube with a triple crown. Some people refer to a dual crown as a triple crown, where they really mean a triple clamp fork. This is where there are clamps holding each stanchion and a clamp holding the steerer tube. Newer Marzocchi forks are "Cryofitted" so that would make them double clamp dual crowns.

TWISTED said:
What MonsterT is that? I've got an '03, it's got different stickers, the '03 T2 has silver crowns, and I thought the '04's were black.
That's an '04 Monster T. They didn't make an '04 T2 thankfully, but the Monster T this year had those stickers, similar in appearance to the '04 Shivers.

---Matt---
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Zedro never recommends 888, Zedro says Zedro like Shivers. In Shiver we trust
Zedro says what??? This is what Zedro says..

Zedro said:
A Shiver? Nah, Shivers s*ck! Get a real fork, get a Monster T!!!
I know it's saddening, but it's true. Zedro is a closet Monster lover. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
OK, so you can put in an HSCV.

What about the Stratos ID cartrige. Anyone use one? They say they make them for models that aren't on thier web site so do they make one for the JrT/SuperT platform? For another $100 to $150, you could have a shock with a pedaling platform, but would the ride be as nice as the HSCV and would it hold on a big bike? They make one for the Shiver DC.

Any thoughts?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top