Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
I think we should go back
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I found some jumps and drops off the side of a trail that looked like fun that i didn't know about until now and almost all of the jumps and drops I looked at I got scared and didn't do them. First was this big boulder that you come up to and ride down the backside that is way steep, I pussied that and din't do it, next was this step-down jump about a 3 foot gap I got scared to do because it looks so massive from where you start when you are going to hit it, then we came to a smoothe drop that was perfect except it spits you out going fast and I don't want to go over the berm on a turn right after the landing.

I feel so down that I just chickened it out hard today. What do you tell yourself when you are going to hit something you are unsure about? Maybe i'll get some rest and go back up tommorow. Oh and I got my bike 2 weeks ago but before that I rode motocross a little.

Thanks

·
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, yeah, I want to push it but I don't want to hurl myself into a rock. I have a semi-big golf tourney next Thursday-Sunday so I don't really want to be out for that. The only thing I am not affraid to do is manual down the canyon haha

·
brake later, pedal sooner
813 Posts
hurl yourself into the rock, you'll learn fast not to do what you just did. just wear pads.

:) if you are afraid of crashing, downhill and freeride is not for you. downhill is a very physical sport on the outside, but it's really 90% mental. the 10% just has to hold on, doesn't have to make any decisions. when your mind fails, your body gets 100% of the punishment.

just go for it dude, i think it's something in you or it's not - it's up to you to decide. i was hitting 40ft doubles and 30ft stepdowns within the 3rd month of ever riding a mountain bike. i credit this more to balls than skill. i wanted to get better, the only way is to try.

if i were to hit a new big jump or drop i usually do a run up or two to it. i make sure i know my line, i visualize myself landing and riding out. before i drop in while i'm waiting, i get butterflies. most people mistake this emotion for nervousness and psyche themselves out. you have to understand it is not nervousness, it is excitement for the adrenaline you are about to get from conquering a fear and flying through the air. control your breathing, stay focused and relaxed, the second the feeling in your stomach goes away you put your game face on and go for it. the 5 seconds you took "thinking" about doing it, you could have already just done it.

you will crash, you will get up. you will get better. if you arent pushing yourself when you ride, you aren't having enough fun. it helps to follow others, or at least watch their speed. gravity takes care of the rest.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,906 Posts
Have you done anything close to as difficult as what you were looking at? If not, and you can't clearly visualize your exact line, maybe better to hold off and work up to it. You need to push your abilities to progress, but it's up to you how far and how fast. Pushing too hard leads to injuries. Jumping takes LOTS of practice to become consistent, if you go too big before you have good technique, it won't turn out so well for you. I assume you're doing this for fun, so don't worry too much about thinking you "pussed out".

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
go for it. took me way to long to realize that. I'd always think "oh im not sure if its smooth, or if i can handle it..." once you hit the jump or drop, your mind takes over and does a lot for you. You can also land a lot more than you think, one time i landed at basically a 90 degree angle, and rode out. One time i landed so nose heavy that i shoulda gone over the bars, but somehow rode it out.

About having to much speed into a berm, you may think you'll be going to fast, but once you are in the situation its not bad. There was this small drop on a trail i was riding that went strait into a right handed U-berm. I thought i'd have too much speed, but once i hit it, it wasnt to bad at all.

now I see something and think "Aww what the hell?" and go for it... i built a buncha new jumps today, didnt even do practice run-ups... i just went for it.

·
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I am glad I didn't and if I would have crashed and broke my leg I would be laying on dirt in the canyon right now instead of typing this post haha.

one last thing,

I tried on my knee pads for moto-x and they felt OK but aren't that comfortable and I am affraid they might restrict me from moving around nicely. if I didn't wear them basically all the protection I have is my full face helmet. Although I might cut off the bottom part of my old moto pants so they are shorts that would probably be cool.

let's hope the next time I type I am not in a cast/sling!

Thanks

·
CoolArrow
2,473 Posts
hurl yourself into the rock, you'll learn fast not to do what you just did. just wear pads.

:) if you are afraid of crashing, downhill and freeride is not for you. downhill is a very physical sport on the outside, but it's really 90% mental. the 10% just has to hold on, doesn't have to make any decisions. when your mind fails, your body gets 100% of the punishment.

just go for it dude, i think it's something in you or it's not - it's up to you to decide. i was hitting 40ft doubles and 30ft stepdowns within the 3rd month of ever riding a mountain bike. i credit this more to balls than skill. i wanted to get better, the only way is to try.

if i were to hit a new big jump or drop i usually do a run up or two to it. i make sure i know my line, i visualize myself landing and riding out. before i drop in while i'm waiting, i get butterflies. most people mistake this emotion for nervousness and psyche themselves out. you have to understand it is not nervousness, it is excitement for the adrenaline you are about to get from conquering a fear and flying through the air. control your breathing, stay focused and relaxed, the second the feeling in your stomach goes away you put your game face on and go for it. the 5 seconds you took "thinking" about doing it, you could have already just done it.

you will crash, you will get up. you will get better. if you arent pushing yourself when you ride, you aren't having enough fun. it helps to follow others, or at least watch their speed. gravity takes care of the rest.
Yep. Totally on board with this approach. Confidence is huge, and mind over matter is even more huge. Really dig how you put this :thumbsup:

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Ok, I am glad I didn't and if I would have crashed and broke my leg I would be laying on dirt in the canyon right now instead of typing this post haha.

one last thing,

I tried on my knee pads for moto-x and they felt OK but aren't that comfortable and I am affraid they might restrict me from moving around nicely. if I didn't wear them basically all the protection I have is my full face helmet. Although I might cut off the bottom part of my old moto pants so they are shorts that would probably be cool.

let's hope the next time I type I am not in a cast/sling!

Thanks
Last thing you gotta do is be positive! Know you can do it, dont dwell on crashing or getting injured. You may crash, but your body is much more durable then you may think. Took me Scorpioning down the landing of a 12 foot gap twice before I realized that. I figured I'd crash, and brake a bone instantly, but it dosent work like that. I seen people walk away from the most insane crashes fine. Watch the old rampages and you will see.

You can do it. Believe in yourself and stay positive, and try to get someone to take a vid so you can brag about doin it when you hit it.

·
Ride, Jump, Pray, Land
140 Posts
You have to be positive and committed. If you say you will crash that is exactly what you will do. Make sure you focus on the landing, because you generally go in the direction that you are facing. If you look at a 3 foot gap and think it is huge then stick your bike next to it and you will see that it is not that huge, If you realise that you probably can bunnyhop or jump that far anyway it will be easier. If you hit the jump at the right speed(notice how I didn't say flat out) by the time that your rear wheel is leaving the take off your front wheel is about to land on the down ramp.
Take it easy and build up. I have the same walls to climb when I started to ride. once I tried the jumps I realised that i could do it. I then made those jumps part of my regular riding and built up from there.
above all else don't let a jump or drop hold you back, If you really feel like you can't do it then just miss it out and go on to the next bit. You will get there in the end. make sure you pad up though as it will help you when you fall. Lets face it too, we all fall. anyone who says they have never fallen off is a liar. It happens to everyone, but you realise that mainly it doesn't really hurt that much.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i have to agree with ustemuf on this when i started within the first year i was huckin 20 ft drops and jumps jus because watchign my friends do it made me wanna do it it was bigger then i ever thought id go yea i hurt myself every now and then its bound to happen this is my second season on a big bike and i hit my first 50 foot jump scary as hell but fun as hell too jus push urself if ur werried abotu getting hurt its not the sport for u cuz its bound to happen

·
slap happy
417 Posts
one thing i've learned in my first season of DH'ing...you just have to "do it". i'm not trying to steal Nike's quote, but with dh you have to have full confidence in your bike and just trust that it will see you to the other side of the jump/drop/gap/gnar etc.
if you think you/your bike can't do it, you will probably crash. a lot.

and it's generally better to have a little too much speed/inertia then too little (at least for hucks and gnar).
it took me 2/3's of this summer to actually apply that info to my riding, but once you commit it's the best feeling in the world.
then, at the bottom of the mtn you can say you gave it 100%.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Riding with a buddy that will call you a bit** if you chicken out can help. It motivated me to try something new. I broke 3 ribs and was out for 6 months. Results will vary. I think the key is to ride above your level, but not by much. Increase risk in small increments. Dont go from riding a flat fire road up to flying off your neighbors roof in the same week. Good luck!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Might also help to research certain technique if you don't know how to do something. For example, for rolling off something steep just hang your ass off the back of the bike. For jumping you wanna try and pop a bit. Bring front up, then back. For drops you wanna push bike forward right as front wheel is going off to prevent the bike from pitching forward over the edge. Speed helps make drops easier (don't have to push out as much). Ideally, you'd ride with other people, but if not you can find this stuff and videos of it on the internet.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.