Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been riding stronger since i started using my hr and have noticed a big jump in my endurance but was wondering if the heart rate listed for my age is even close to accurate

it seems that i don't feel any strain at 70% to 80% i dont feel strain until around 87% or better
mostly i have been trying to maintain fast cadence and was wondering if that might raise my max or what ... :confused: ... don't really know ...

it was close when i started so it feels like it might have changed latley because i maintained 85% for around an hour and a half ... :D and i was able to make it up the same hill at 2 miles an hour more than a i did a month ago :D all ten miles of it ( yeah it ain't steep but it is constant and i figure good for endurance )

i am 32 and have been riding ( again ) for a year
my resting seems to be 50's and my max for my age is 188 but i am thinking it is low

how exactly do i go about finding my max ...i have no trainer and since i just started a new job no money ...

never thought i would get this crazy over it but alas i have gone off the deep end :D :p
banzai !!!

thanks in advance ...

:)

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
There is no low or correct Max HR. Before I started officially training mine was 200. Since I have been following a structured training program I have now got a lower Max HR but my power has increased.

Can you borrow a trainer? If so follow this

A good test to do is as follows - Time takes about 12 minutes.

Get on your bike, start spinning at a RPM you can maintain comfortably for 90% of the ride (ie 90RPM or 80RPM)

Choose a reasonable gear but leave about 6 clicks (Between gears and resistance)

Begin pedaling at your comfortable rpm, ever 2 or so minutes increase resistance until you cannot pedal anymore.

Resistance rather than cadence will increase HR! A good rider will try maintain an even RPM during a ride (In an ideal world)

If you cant get a trainer what about finding a piece of road that begins flat and has a low gradient climb that is consistant, so you can start out at a certain pace and try maintain it till the end. That could be good.

For what it is worth:

I recently did a similar test where power increased at 100w each 5 minutes till I could no longer pedal. I also had my VO2 max taken using a computer based analyzer which sampled air output etc and had my blood regularly sampled in order to determine my lactate levels.

Its very informative knowing this information in order to establish training zones, ones performance, and what to improve.

Attachments

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
aaaaahhhh! that picture brings back memories

of my VO2 max test a few years ago. except they made me do it running on a treadmill. that [email protected] contraption on my head kept slipping so that the band that was supposed to go across my forehead ended up occluding my vision (not that i really needed to see where i was going since i wasn't going anywhere! :D ). i lasted 17 minutes on the treadmill, my max HR hit 200 bpm (which is sustained for something like 5 seconds!) and quit when i started having visions of myself passing out and knockign all my teeth out from falling onto the trainer with that hose sticking out of my mouth! :p

ian, your best bet for finding your max HR would be a VO2 max test or some other type of stress test in a lab setting. if there's a university nearby with a good sports med clinic or a good sports physiology clinic they sometimes will be looking for subjects for student research where they'll do the tests for free or they will need people to practice on for practica and they will do the tests for free or for a nominal charge.

your other option is to continue wearing your HRM on training rides and record your max HR for each ride and adjust your HR ranges according to the highest max HR you see.

rt

·
Registered
601 Posts
Why is it that time and time again, every time someone says they got a VO2 max test done they don't say what they scored? To me that's like giving a race report and just quietly not mentioning how you finished. Its not as if it really matters. Whatever you scored it's not that little nor impressive in the grand scheme of things, especially to bunch of strangers on the net.

First time I got tested on a metabolic cart almost 2 years ago I got 3.99 L/min or 60 ml/kg/min. Second time was 6 months after that and I got 4.7 L/min, 68.5 ml/min/kg. I haven't been tested since then but I have not been training that well either so I wouldn't score high but someday soon when I get back into good training regiment I'll definitely do some more VO2 testing.

Anyway, *rt* and Trevor lets hear your digits?!?

Another thing to note for the original question. First time I got tested I got 193 max HR but second time I maxed out at 197. Since I train by power this really doesn't mean much to me but if you train by HR perhaps as you improve in fitness you might want to redo testing to see if your max has changed. I know the conventional wisdom is that max HR doesn't change much in short term but, if you've just started training, when you got tested, it's likely that you didn't really max out your HR and testing later when you're fitter will reveal number closer to your true max. In any case even if you train by HR you probably shouldn't be basing your training on your max HR and essentially knowing what your max is should be merely a physiological curiosity.

Just my 2c.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Boj said:

off the top of my head, i don't remember. it was good and put me in the 95th percentile for my age at the time. however, i don't know how much it would hold true now since i had the test done in '99 and was just coming off a serious injury. since then i've moved into a different age group and have trained very differently. but i don't know how much these things change over time or with training.

what i do remember is thinking towards the end of the test that i didn't want to lose all my teeth because i passed out on the treadmill.

besides, the poster's original question was about max heart rate not about VO2 max.

rt

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I can't remember about VO2 max but your maximum heart rate is specific to the sport you're doing.

A maximal running test will give a different max heart rate to a maximal cycling test. I think that running gives a higher max heart rate than cycling but don't quote me on that.:)

You need to calculate different HR zone limits for each sport you do.

Something else you should remember is that if you have caffeine or similar before a ride your heart rate will be higher than riding without. This can be quite a major difference sometimes and could skew the correct training zones if you're not careful.

For various reasons I haven't had any VO2 max tests done recently but 6 years ago it was 82ml/kg/min.

Nowadays I just ride for fun. :p

·
Registered
180 Posts
WR304 said:
I can't remember about VO2 max but your maximum heart rate is specific to the sport you're doing.

A maximal running test will give a different max heart rate to a maximal cycling test. I think that running gives a higher max heart rate than cycling but don't quote me on that.:)

Not an exact science but here's an easy way to find your absolute max HR? Put on a HRM, go to your local track and do 200M sprints as fast as you can... all out, toes barely touch the ground fast. You'd be hard pressed to find anything more intesive to top out our your HR.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'll post my common "what's MHR good for" post. People often want to figure out their MHR and the only reason they want it is for training. Instead of using your MHR you can use your LT (lactate threshold) heart rate which is far easier to find. When you push to your MHR you will push your heart to its limit. Keep in mind that your max heart rate while racing is below your real MHR.

Instead there is a method which has been described by Joe Friel which is far easier to calculate. Do a TT effort for 30 minutes, after 10 minutes hit the lap button on your HRM and then note the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes, which is your LT. This is a far safer test to be performing for just training purposes and you can also perform this test 2 or 3 times a year and see how you progress.

HTH

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Boj said:
Why is it that time and time again, every time someone says they got a VO2 max test done they don't say what they scored? To me that's like giving a race report and just quietly not mentioning how you finished. Its not as if it really matters. Whatever you scored it's not that little nor impressive in the grand scheme of things, especially to bunch of strangers on the net.

First time I got tested on a metabolic cart almost 2 years ago I got 3.99 L/min or 60 ml/kg/min. Second time was 6 months after that and I got 4.7 L/min, 68.5 ml/min/kg. I haven't been tested since then but I have not been training that well either so I wouldn't score high but someday soon when I get back into good training regiment I'll definitely do some more VO2 testing.

I suppose I didn't think it was necessary to disclose those figures, and believe it or not I still don't feel the need to do so because I am just an amature, and numbers mean very little - its really not all that informative to others - unless I was a pro.

·
Registered
189 Posts
WR304 said:

Something else you should remember is that if you have caffeine or similar before a ride your heart rate will be higher than riding without. This can be quite a major difference sometimes and could skew the correct training zones if you're not careful.

For various reasons I haven't had any VO2 max tests done recently but 6 years ago it was 82ml/kg/min.

Nowadays I just ride for fun. :p
Dude, you should train like a mother and go pro. over 80 is godlike vo2max.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
The highest I seen my heartrate go was 205. I forget what hill I was climbing at the time but when I seen it hit 205 I only pedaled harder! I wanted to see it go higher :p which didnt happen..
A few days later I tried again but couldnt get it to go past 200.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the answers and advice

hey witcomb how exactly do you train with LT

never heard of that ...

and as far as MHR i was just curious if it was somthing i could do myself and then set my HR accurately and adjust workouts ...but mostly i just ride any way :D

but i find the HR more helpfull to make sure i don't blow out on the tough hills ( duh :eek: i guess that would be one way to use LT )

as far as the acctual numbers go i could care less ...i have had the unit for two months and my performace has gone way up but that could be just the benifits of a year and a half of riding to work every day and i have found a friend to ride with and we quite frequently race each other ( watched too much tdf this year :D ) so this could just be the harder effort paying off ...but i still find my HR monitor to be endlessly usefull

and acctually a trainer will be in the works but not until i have finished paying off my dakota XC probably another week or two ...AARRGGHH ...it's only been 8 months ...

since i work in an lbs now i might be able to get some one to lend me a trainer but it would be much easyer to do a tt type thing down by the bosque after dark when there's no one out ...

thanks folks ... :)

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
turdburgle said:
Dude, you should train like a mother and go pro. over 80 is godlike vo2max.
Notice I said 6 years ago?:)

Since then there's been more health problems than I care to think about.

It's probably about half that now.

Small children on BMX's pass me nowadays. (literally!):( LOL

·
Registered
189 Posts
WR304 said:
Notice I said 6 years ago?:)

Since then there's been more health problems than I care to think about.

It's probably about half that now.

Small children on BMX's pass me nowadays. (literally!):( LOL
Well, you ought to marry pro cyclist. She could pump out a bunch of future champions. ;)

·
Registered
6,844 Posts
laotsu42 said:
hey witcomb how exactly do you train with LT

never heard of that ...

and as far as MHR i was just curious if it was somthing i could do myself and then set my HR accurately and adjust workouts ...but mostly i just ride any way :D

but i find the HR more helpfull to make sure i don't blow out on the tough hills ( duh :eek: i guess that would be one way to use LT )

-snip-

thanks folks ... :)
Like witcomb says, MHR is more trivia (to the average rider), LT can be very useful in your training, or racing, and is fairly easy to approximate. Knowing your LT and monitoring your HR can help you train intervals or tempo at the right intensity, or keep from "redlining" too early in a race.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.