Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bike to have fun.
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the deal, I just got my buddy a deal on an 09 Kona Shred, but in order to buy it he had to sell his old FS xc bike.

He just got the new bike delivered and took it out for his first ride.

He wanted it for DJing/Urban stuff, but also for the trails some.
Well cause it's DJing Geometry he wasn't about it on the xc trails.
Since we have so many xc style trails here in Richmond, he wants a xc bike

Therefore, he is looking for a cheap xc style bike, that makes the 29er perfect!

Well he is convinced 29ers are only a fad. Help me convince him its not true!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Why bother? Let HIM get what HE wants to ride most. Are you paying for it or something? Do you plan on borrowing it...is that why you care so much?

You don't tell people what size car tire to get too do you? Let it go and just be happy that a good friend wants to ride with you. If you're out in front you don't have to look at his bike.

·
upgrade until you suck
190 Posts
I'm as much into 29ers as the next guy, but why do you have to convince your friend that he has to get a 29er? Isn't that his choice? It sounds like you want to make the choice for him, instead of showing how much better/faster/etc. of a rider you must be on a 29er...

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Friends don't let friends buy needlessly small bikes. He's got a 26" playbike now, and the Shred will be great for that. You'd have been a bad friend to let him get a 29" bike for dirt jumping. It can be done, it can be fun, but not the most logical choice by far.

Make sure he rides the 29" bike hard. I once had a curious guy try mine, it was a perfect fit, but he (a racer even) went too slow, and was always expecting the front wheel to wash out, which it never did for me. Long story short, he rode it slowly, and now years later still thinks it's "scary" to have big wheels, and that they "may" wash out of him just like that. Truth, the tires were so well planted, XR's on see dune trails, that he never got more thann a fraction of the lateral grip available. I can imagine it to feel scary though, if there's no lateral give at all, and something track so much better than he's used to.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well why do you ride 29" wheels?

Is it because you are really tall and it would look like you are riding a BMX? haha, sorry, not funny.

For a road bike, bigger wheels make sense because they don't need to be as strong and can afford to be taller and skinnier, which also means you can ride faster due to higher ratios. But for off road are the wheels fine?

I can imagine you roll over things better, like 24" vs 26" wheels. Or is it a kooky thing, like Hipster Track bikes?

I can imagine 29" wheels to be a bit harder to jump and pull around with, and be a bit less nimble. I say this because I used to have a 24" wheelset on my old FS bike and it was really easy to jump and control.

·
LCI #1853
328 Posts
"When the Student is ready, the Master will appear."

Full appreciation of a 29er is something a rider needs to experience for himself, out on the trail, after futzing around a whole lot with a standard 26" bike. The best kind of "evangelism" is actually getting out and riding.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Try one on for size...

Since he is set on buying something, suggest he at least try one before plunking down hard earned cash. If he does, great. If not...that's his decision.

I have never pushed the 29er thing, but have had several peeps want to try mine on for size. I jokingly warn them that they probably shouldn't, if they are not interested in making a change. Every single person who has ridden my Niner purchased one. I think that makes about 7 or 8 now. It will be obvious to them, they won't need the hype. If it is not obvious, they probably shouldn't get one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.