Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the brake pads on my Cannondale with Kool Stops. I want to clean off the black crap left from on the rims from the old brake pads. What's the best way to clean them off?

· Registered
77 Posts
I've used 3M Scotch Brite pads for years, cleans the glaze off the rims without removing rim material.
That's a good point...I should have mentioned to use something less abrasive first to see if that can do the job. In my case, the rim/shoes were neglected by the previous owner pretty bad and I couldn't just "clean" them, I had to resort to the sandpaper.

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which color Scotch brite pads? Each color signifies a grit. If you're using the common green ones, they're around 600 grit.

Here's a list of their color and grit.
3M Scotch Brite Nylon Pads:
7445 - White pad, called Light Duty Cleansing - (1000 grit)
7448 - Light Grey, called Ultra Fine Hand - (600-800 grit)
6448 - Green (?), called Light Duty Hand Pad - (600 grit)
7447 - Maroon pad, called General Purpose Hand - (320-400 grit)
6444 - Brown pad, called Extra Duty Hand - (280-320 grit)
7446 - Dark Grey pad, called Blending Pad (180-220 grit)
7440 - Tan pad, called Heavy Duty Hand Pad - (120-150 grit)

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome! Thanks guys.

I had no idea there were 7 different Scotch pads.
Yeah, I'm a bowler and resurface my own bowling balls. We use different grits to get the right surface we want. The smoother surface, the stronger the reaction. So we often use different sanding material, often looking for the least expensive one. Scotch Brite is one of the commonly used pads. I've only seen Green, of course, maroon, and (I think) light grey at either Menards or Home Depot. I've only seen the others online.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.