Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Well, you could follow the instructions it came with...a light bleach solution with or without the brush set they also sell for that purpose. Personally I begin by using tap water which keeps grunge at a minimum to begin with, once in a while I'll use some purified water, but never any juices or energy drinks (don't like 'em much anyways). I wash it out with dish soap and hot water with the brushes a couple times a year.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
clean it with mixture of dish soap & copious mount of bleach

Skullduggery said:
I know this is really basic, but i have left my drink system sitting around unused and now it has this taste.... not very pleasant
Any ideas please?
Hi skullduggery, You can clean the pack by mixing dish soap water and bleach in the bag. close the lid and shake the bag vigrously to allow the mixture to througly clean the bag. let the beach & soap liguid stay in the bag for 20min for the bleach to kill the bacteria. Then rinse it tap water. If the odour still lingers, repeat process above second time.

Take bag outdoor to let it hang dry upside down just like your clothes. water will evaporate within a few hours. It will fix the problem. If you still have the odour, then the odour had boned with the plastic. You have to buy new hydration bag.

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
After the bleach procedure...

Mix 4 tbsp of baking soda with a liter of hot hot water. Pour the mix into the bladder, seal it up and shake it , let some run through the tube as well. Let this mix sit for an hour and then pour it out and rinse until no baking soda or cleansing product is left.

The baking soda removes the nasty taste leaving a neutral taste.

Its worked for me ever since i picked up a camel bak

cheers

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I store mine in the freezer between uses to prevent bacteria growth...that way I can use it with accelerade and not have to worry about scrubbing it clean after each ride. I do remove the bite valve and also leave a small amount of water in it so that it forms a nice big ice cube for my next ride.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
EJBlur said:
I store mine in the freezer between uses to prevent bacteria growth...that way I can use it with accelerade and not have to worry about scrubbing it clean after each ride. I do remove the bite valve and also leave a small amount of water in it so that it forms a nice big ice cube for my next ride.
highly recommend this

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
EJBlur said:
Thats a great idea. I never thought of doing that. No matter how well I maintain mine I always find its difficult to get them perfectly dry and thus end up slipping up somewhere along the line and find some culture or whatever growing in the tube or bladder. :eek:

·
Bionic Mtn Biker
222 Posts
EJBlur said:
If you keep lots of different foods (especially fish) in your freezer, or if it's been awhile since the last time your freezer was defrosted/cleaned, I'd suggest placing a box of baking soda (e.g. Arm & Hammer) in there to prevent the fishy, stale odor & flavor...unless, of couurse, you're into that kinda stuff...

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
It depends on how bad it is.

If the thing has chunks of flora floating/clinging to it, I'd use a can of Coke. Let it sit for about 20 min, then a can of Sprite. The compounds in these softdrinks are amazingy caustic/acidic/whatever. I had a buddy that worked at a Coke bottling plant. He said he had to replace his leather boots and gloves about every 3 months because the crap in soda is so caustic. (as I drink my "one a day" Coke)

Next, use the bleach solution or, Blackburn makes some really cool waterpack cleaner. It's like 8 bux for 4 ounces and you only use 2 drops per cleaning. That's a lot better than $1 a tablet for those Camelbak tabs.

AJ

Skullduggery said:
I know this is really basic, but i have left my drink system sitting around unused and now it has this taste.... not very pleasant
Any ideas please?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.