Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a C'dale Road Warrior with a stock Selle Royal Viper saddle. No matter at what angle I put the seat, it gets uncomfortable *really* quick. Uncomfortable as in numbness all over my pelvic region. I don't have the same problem with my singlespeed, which has a WTB Laser Pro V. The two seats look very similar, and I want to get the right seat for me, but I don't know what to look for.

Any suggestions?

My local stores don't help - they won't let me demo a seat, and I need to ride it for at least ten minutes to see if it'll be bearable. I'm not an odd-sized person: 6'0, 175lbs, 34" waist.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Saddles can be very tricky, and more than anything else on a bike is all a matter of personal preference. Someone can get on a $100 saddle and be very uncomfortable, then try a $20 one and feel like they're sitting on a sofa. It's really just trial and error when picking a saddle. If you already have a saddle that you know works for you, why don't you just buy another one of those for this bike? That should work.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Get another like the one that fits.

varsity said:
I just got a C'dale Road Warrior with a stock Selle Royal Viper saddle. No matter at what angle I put the seat, it gets uncomfortable *really* quick. Uncomfortable as in numbness all over my pelvic region. I don't have the same problem with my singlespeed, which has a WTB Laser Pro V. The two seats look very similar, and I want to get the right seat for me, but I don't know what to look for.

Any suggestions?

My local stores don't help - they won't let me demo a seat, and I need to ride it for at least ten minutes to see if it'll be bearable. I'm not an odd-sized person: 6'0, 175lbs, 34" waist.
If you can. Saddle shopping is hell. I opened this knowing I didn't have any good advice for you, I was looking for clues for myself. I've had good luck with WTB also. Saddles are so personal nobody can tell you what'll work and popularity means nothing if it isn't right for you.

Good luck.

Ron

·
Registered
192 Posts
Seat angle is another possibility...

Some saddles have a geometry that allows you to fully sit back and be comfy, but when you mount them, if the angle isn't right, it feels like you are going to fall out of the seat and slide down onto the top bar. If you raise or lower the nose of the saddle, you will get different results. The saddle itself can have different angles too. What I do is mount the saddle, look from the side and see if the nose and tail are close to parallel to the ground, then I adjust the nose up a little. It is what fits me. However, each person is different. As is each saddle, as you've already seen. I tried many saddles until I found WTB saddles. WTB Lasers have always been good saddles to me. They also have the "channel," for relieving pressure on the pelvis pressure points. But this still may not completely relieve the pressure. So you may need to get a good quality pair of shorts with really comfy Chammy in it. This should relieve most pressure there. Also, if you are really bent over... ie frame being too long for you... you can get this kind of pressure as well. Most bike shops will help you look at your geometry, so you should also take advantage of a free second opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.