Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hardtail Freak
196 Posts
you have to preload off the jump with your hips and look in the direction you want to turn, always toward your landing. use your arms and pump the bars in the way you want to go as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i'd like to know as well. i can't bunny hop very high yet. when i try to twist my bike and jump up, i always land about 90degrees, so i'm halfway there.

how do you preload your hips? and does it matter which feet you have in front and the direction you're rotating?

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
aznsap said:
i'd like to know as well. i can't bunny hop very high yet. when i try to twist my bike and jump up, i always land about 90degrees, so i'm halfway there.

how do you preload your hips? and does it matter which feet you have in front and the direction you're rotating?
you guys might be having trouble because you are listening to all this talk about preloading hips and whatnot (no offense to those trying to help)

think less. approach the wedge/jump and simply snap the bars and turn your head in the direction you want to spin. your body will naturally follow. 360s are the same, just do it faster. naturally you have to commit to doing the move but if you fully commit and do what I said, you'll be laughing at how it easy it really turned out to be.

good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
170 Posts
namaSSte said:
you guys might be having trouble because you are listening to all this talk about preloading hips and whatnot (no offense to those trying to help)

think less. approach the wedge/jump and simply snap the bars and turn your head in the direction you want to spin. your body will naturally follow. 360s are the same, just do it faster. naturally you have to commit to doing the move but if you fully commit and do what I said, you'll be laughing at how it easy it really turned out to be.

good luck, have fun.
wait, how do you do a 180 without a jump? as in, just on flat ground. i've seen people jump and do a 180 and i've also seen people lean forward on their front wheel and the rear pivots around. how do you do each of those?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
ok for a 180 bunny hop...if you ride left foot back you want to spin to your left, vice versa for right. you take a small turn to the right and whip your bike back to the left while starting your bunnyhop, turn your shoulders and head in the direction you want to go and push the back of the bike around with your left foot while making your hips follow your shoulders

for a 180 pivot you need to get the endo down, then take a quick turn to your right and then squeeze the front brake while turning your bike left, this time lead with your hips and make the rest of your body follow

all is vice versa for right foot back riders

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
free rider said:
ok for a 180 bunny hop...if you ride left foot back you want to spin to your left, vice versa for right. you take a small turn to the right and whip your bike back to the left while starting your bunnyhop, turn your shoulders and head in the direction you want to go and push the back of the bike around with your left foot while making your hips follow your shoulders

for a 180 pivot you need to get the endo down, then take a quick turn to your right and then squeeze the front brake while turning your bike left, this time lead with your hips and make the rest of your body follow

good advice, I should add that the fot oreintation you describe is the "regular" way. I ride goofy footed )left foot fwd but spin to the left) and it can be done. Its a little tougher but its really about technique. Regardless of foot orientation, iif they follow your advice, they'll get it down.

I should alos mention that the bunny 180 is MUCH tougher to get than doing one off a wedge or out of a lip...but don't let that stop you from trying....its a sweet move to have!

·
Registered
170 Posts
free rider said:

thanks free rider for the advice. why do you do the initial small turn in the opposite direction you want to spin (for both the 180 bunny hop and the 180 pivot)? and is the pivot easier to learn? i may have to start with the easier one first.

·
Only One Way
287 Posts
Turning the obosite direction starts momentum and allows for a "snap"

I have just learned to 180 BH without any preloading or turing the bars, it allows me to land more upright so I can ride fakie out of it .. like down stairs. but this tookl a while to learn, when I whipped it I found it to hard to ride out of.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
i know this will void my advice (which is correct by the way) but i am still learning the 180 bunnyhop...you have to practice practice practice, that is the only way you will learn these tricks...and be prepared to bend rims (if you land really hard) and replace bar ends

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
whip it, whip it good! at first I found it super super hard to keep momentum going in the same direction you were going, as well as keeping both tires level. I always wanted to just tail tap/fufan, and change momentum to go the other way instead of backpedaling to go backwards. and, during the learning process (and every once in awhile otherwise) your knees will kiss your stem, haha, and eventually want to just have sex with your top tube while being repeatedly rejected and bashed, so pads while getting it down are highly recommended.

and brodie_rider... maybe you have a different technique than I, but I'm def. not looking at my landing when 180'ing.... I agree with the "look in the direction you are turning" part, but I don't spot my landing. I'm not up to doing big gap 180's though, that may be the dif. ?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
whip it, whip it good! at first I found it super super hard to keep momentum going in the same direction you were going, as well as keeping both tires level. I always wanted to just tail tap/fufan, and change momentum to go the other way instead of backpedaling to go backwards. and, during the learning process (and every once in awhile otherwise) your knees will kiss your stem, haha, and eventually want to just have sex with your top tube while being repeatedly rejected and bashed, so pads while getting it down are highly recommended.

and brodie_rider... maybe you have a different technique than I, but I'm def. not looking at my landing when 180'ing.... I agree with the "look in the direction you are turning" part, but I don't spot my landing. I'm not up to doing big gap 180's though, that may be the dif. ?
if your throwing 3's on a table or a set of dj's you want to look at your landing as you want to match the angle of the tranny...when 180'ing on flat you want to keep you head and shoulders parallel to the ground unless you need to adgust the angle of your bike, and even in that case its easier to use your arms and keep your shoulders parallel with the ground

1 - 13 of 13 Posts