Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Time flies...
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading about the Hadley rebuild and got to wondering, what are the pros/cons of these hubs:
Hadley's
Hope
Chris King

I'll be getting some wheels built soon, but I don't know enough about these different hubs.
And are these worth the extra money compared to regular ol' XT's or WTB's or????

· Feeding your addiction
2,645 Posts
xjbebop said:
I was just reading about the Hadley rebuild and got to wondering, what are the pros/cons of these hubs:
Hadley's
Hope
Chris King

I'll be getting some wheels built soon, but I don't know enough about these different hubs.
And are these worth the extra money compared to regular ol' XT's or WTB's or????
I build a lot of wheels with all 3, and they are all very good quality hubs. Some of the differences....

Engagement: Hadleys are fastest, followed by King (though I feel the actual mechanism itself is a superior design), then Hope Bulb & Hope XC

Price: King (highest), Hadley, Hope Bulb, Hope XC

Seals: Kings are sealed the best but also have a little more drag because of it.

Weight: Kings are the lightest of the three, Hadley and Hope Bulb are very close (Hadley's are about 15g lighter per pair), Hope XC are a bit heavier.

When King and Hadley pricing was roughly equal, most people were buying King. But with King pricing now being significantly higher, it's a lot tougher decision. I would consider Hadley to be very comparable (arguably better in some ways, pros and cons to both), and they are a lot less money. If you can't afford Hadley or King, then Hope hubs are an excellent choice, with the main sacrifice being engagement speed.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

· Feeding your addiction
2,645 Posts
eman2 said:
Larry, where do the Hugi DT 240's fit in?
They certainly belong on that list too, great hubs. They are very light, lighter than the other 3. My only beef with them is I feel the engagement speed is too slow for the price level they are at. Still worth considering, but they would be an even bigger contender if engagement were somewhat on par with King. Once you get used to the fast engagement of a Hadley or King, it's really hard to go back.
Larry

· Time flies...
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Larry. So how much is the price diff between CK and Hadleys, and which would you recommend I use for my flux wheelset (which you'll be building for me soon anyway...)regardless of price??

--those mango CK's Steve has sure look sweet, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.